General Non-Fiction posted June 11, 2009 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Interning for a rock station.

A chapter in the book Performance Problems -Production

Oh! Suffer Ye Interns!

by Mike K2

Interns are more or less, those people spending a college semester at a company to gain work experience. Many do the errand and food runs, chump chores and otherwise become the razzed upon. There are also supposed to pay attention and if lucky have a hand in something work-wise that the field has to offer. Most often you don’t hear much about the programs, though there are internship fairs and college students that seek them. They can be a fascinating aspect to one’s life.

 In meeting and talking to people, I find out where they work; but in discussing fun, many have brought up their internship stories and though I didn’t go to college, we can match stories. With me it was volunteer work at the Aquarium, helping my friend out with an Eagle project, being a trail crew member at camp, or spending a day on a ride along with a Baltimore Sunpaper photojournalist.
 
Though the White House, first brought interns into the public eye, leave it to 98ROCK’s, Morning Show with Mickey, Amelia and Spiegel to include them on the air and give them a more positive representation. The first that I remember was an intern named Marie. She was shy and hesitant at first, but became more outspoken. She wanted to date one of the other assistant producers and the Morning Show tried to help.
 
At one St. Patrick’s Day Beer and Bacon, Marie with her parents and the Assistant Producer had his parents and there was one last try.  Being there, this round robin discussion made for a great segment.

The Mike the intern came along and in a sense reversed the roles.  Mike Anderson graduated from the Corcoran College of Art and Design in D.C. He took some mass communication courses at HCC, which allowed him to apply the internship as course credit. His first on air assignment was to draw Josh Spiegel and they even held a contest to see if listeners could beat him.
 
Intern Mike had an untamed enthusiasm that the show could use and Mike was not bashful for radio bits.  To me as an intern Mike was a win-win situation. The station was benefiting him and he lent his talents, even the eclectic ones for the station to use. In several cases they took advantage of his discerning nose to sniff and then Mike would go on air and describe the scent like a fine wine, whether it was to people’s disgust or amusement.
 
After Mike’s internship was over, 98ROCK decided to hire him as an Associate Producer, Assistant Producer or as Mickey puts it ass producer; for the Morning Show. He not only does the job that is expected as an assistant producer, but also still maintains that intern’s spirit of striving and making the most of things.
 
In one case, he complained about the money and the show planned to help him out. For an extra $500.00, he had to grow a beard and not touch it for six months; in addition, the Morning Show could do anything to it that they wanted, including putting gum in it. There were frequent updates for the listeners about the beards progress. He was pretty much skating along, until he made a fairly big mistake. He admitted to it and apologized, but for punishment, they made him shave half of it off. He had to maintain it that way until the deadline was up.

 News of Michael Phelps, the Olympic Gold Medalist came out about the bong photograph. This brought both pleasure and ridicule, as the producer for the Morning Show was snubbed by Phelps, as was his request that he go on air with the Morning Show. What added insult to Scott’s injury was that it happened in the station’s hallway as Phelps had an appearance with the TV channel.
 
Because of the bong photograph, the Morning Show decided that an intervention was needed and sent Mike down to his residence with a bull horn. He took up position and bombard the condo with what the Morning Show was relaying to him. To paraphrase the gist of this; “Michael Phelps… Michael Phelps… This is 98ROCK . We are here to help you… We are doing an intervention…Come out and talk to us… Hand over your weed! We are much better at handling it then you! You don’t need it. Weed slows people down… ”
 
This went on through several segments and though I was put off by the notion of this bit; in the end it was hilarious and entertaining. Eventually the buildings manager told him that he has to leave or he will call the police. He was told to stay. 
 
When they called him back and Mike mentioned that the police came so he left before there was a problem. The Morning show made him go back and turn himself in to the police. The Baltimore Police were good natured and just said that he had to leave and just to make sure the morning show had him say that he was willing to be arrested. This prompted an interview with the police officers. They couldn’t comment on the air, but it was conveyed though head gestures that they thought this was funny.
 
All left on good terms and in the paper the Sunpapers interviewed Phelps and he did comment that it was embarrassing as they had a Radio Show waking him up with a bull horn. In most cases 98ROCK is referred to as a, “local rock station.”
 
Mike Anderson also had other moments with both the show and its listeners. There was a bet that he couldn’t walk from his house to the station and make it to work. He begged to differ, this was a bet on a matter of pride. They planned it out, he would have to leave his house by 12 midnight in order to make it to the station before the Morning Show finished.
 
Originally, it was planned for this to be done with a slow moving vehicle such as a gold cart and there was a listener willing to supply him with one; but it was determined that would not only be illegal, but dangerous as well.
 
Mike started running on Route 1 about four miles below Conowingo Damn towards 98ROCK located at least 44 miles away. By the time I went to sleep from my evening shift Mike was well on his way and running strong. I figured there were two roads that he could take and if he took; Harford Road, I planned to be out to greet him.
  
My alarm turned on to the station, Mike had just passed the street where I lived on and when I left my house to walk to work, he was making the turn on to Northern Parkway. Throughout the morning there were updates and as Mike approached work, The Morning Show they became concerned about his health.
 
Throughout his trek, it went from running, to running and walking, to walking and it was progressing towards hobbling. They were worried about his water consumption and sent out the 98ROCK Hummer.
  
The closer he approached, the more like a Forrest Gump scenario it evolved. Some Mike had so much water available, he could have jet propelled himself the rest of the way. Listeners where driving by and beeping, some joined his walk and an ambulance company donated the services of one of their ambulances that also followed and did a quick check-up in the end.
 
Around 9:30am, he made it to the studios and was given a quick check and made it to the 98ROCK studio and had about fifteen minutes of air time. A lot of talk is how much he is going to be hurting the next day. Mike gave a report and achieved his walk without too much lingering suffering.
  
In addition to his usual duties as an assistant producer, Mike lets his creativity come through, even spending his own time after his job ends to create bits and DJ style mash-ups using patches and loops of the Morning Show personalities synced to music.
 
The next 98ROCK intern was Melissa, Mary, Malinda, Miranda or whatever Mickey decided to call her.  Her real name was Melanie, though I called her Melamine. She went on air to chime in, but was more for handling the Morning Show Tasks, such as handing out T-Shirts. She would drive out to a given location in the 98ROCK vehicle and drivers would drive up and yell, “Hey Melanie! Stimulate my package!” That was the way 98ROCK contributed to Obama’s stimulus package.
  
Mickey was always up to a challenge, and Melanie mentioned that she felt that he couldn’t beat a woman in tennis. The bet was on, Melanie had experience and Mickey had never played it. A listener was an owner for a racquet club and  donated the court and the wager was made; the looser had to go naked in the studio. This was unacceptable to Melanie so the agreement was to that if she lost she would have to wear a bikini.
 
The match was held after the show and the next day, it was revealed that Mickey won and Melanie lost. Now she had to pay the price, the problem was she showed up with a one piece bathing suit. It was simple, she had to get a bikini or pay with the internship. Melanie’s mom immediately came to the rescue and showed up in her bikini. Mom was not only outgoing, she made for good conversation and programming. That wasn’t the first time that Melanie asked for Mom’s help.
  
Off the air, is where the Internship is serious and an astute intern not only learns about the job, but participates as well. Interns not only enjoy their positive experience, but members of the staff do as well; even commenting on the interns themselves or the program in their blogs.

 Rob Lang and Scott Wykoff are both long standing and award winner reporters for WBAL-Radio. In their blogs, they not only mention their enthusiasm for the Intern Program, but the interns themselves. Rob blogs about Intern Ashley and Scott about Intern Kaitlyn. Included is there attending college, how the participate in the program, but also about actual news stories that the ladies have assisted with.
 
98ROCK, WBAL Radio and TV have all had long standing internship programs. Not only do they all have their programs, but WBAL contains a list for college students about internship programs that other companies have. I consider this not only a community service, but a great vehicle for developing the future.

 Interns also are not paid, they work for free, say for getting college credit. Hey, it still is cheaper than buying the course books. To qualify, you have to place an application; be enrolled in college being in a junior or senior year in attendance and also be majoring in a field that the internship would cover. For 98ROCK that would be mass communication, electronic media or marketing. You can sign up for one of the shows; or participate with programming, or marketing and promotions. For WBAL Radio and TV, the field of majors, are expanded to journalism.
 
Locally just as they have job fairs, there they also internship fairs where both colleges and employers get together and recruit college students. They don’t accept well meaning walk-ins such as, myself.
 




A special thanks for Michael Anderson for assisting me with this chapter by expanding on my knowledge of his college information. HCC wasn't clarified and I found several institutions that use those letters.

WBAL never returned my query for information about interns; the information was obtained by researching the various intern programs at 98ROCK.com, WBAL Radio and WBAL TV and uploading the requirements and applications. Also that is how I discovered the WBAL intern resource and Rob Lang's and Scott Wykoff's blogs in reference about their interns. Sort of a blessing in disguise that added substantially to the body of this chapter.

Shown is a photograph of Mike Anderson; is this what happens when the boss tells an intern to make themselves half presentable? The answer is in the writing. Photograph was taken March 2009, by Michael Kohlman at 98ROCK's Beer and Bacon, Looneys Edition held on St. Patick's Day!

To be honest, anything that helps give a person a glimpse into one of his interests is something that I appreciate. In the article, I talk about internships, but this is something that should be extended to everyday life. When I was a teenage, people seemed more then willing to spend a little while and allow me just to watch or even participate. Sadly, when I became an adult, people have lost interest. The reason that I bring this up is because even just a few minutes or a one time opportunity can go a long way in expanding a person's knowledge and appreciation.

I started working at age twelve by cutting lawns until age 16, where I wanted to retire and coast a bit. From 16-18 that didn't happen as I worked with both home improvement and home care of her husband as she needed someone to to this. At age 18, I attended the first year at the Rhode Island School of Photography and received a certificate for Comprehensive Photography. I didn't attended the second year as I became employed in the printing industry and my father refuse to buy me the required camera system. Locally, the commercial photographers were not very encouraging about providing me with practical work experience.

I looked into attending a local college, but my work responsibilities were such that I would have had to give up my participation in Scouting. Instead, I read my father's college books and concentrated in reading about business and English. It must have made a difference as my father who was ashamed at my writing and abhorred the fact that I was in the lowest fifth percentile for spelling, actually wanted to know how I could write. At the time, the print shop that I was working for was printing the Johns Hopkins University Press Catalog. I picked up such party conversation topic books like, "The Origins Of English Words" and "A Grammar of the English Language." I also dabbled in my spare time with electronics and art.

To bolster my case, here are some of the experiences that stuck with me.

1) Ace Printers - At age 14, I simple walked in and asked to watch. We chatted and they hired me to run the folder and letterpress. Unfortunately that only lasted for about a week, their insurance guy walked in and blew a nut. I figured that I lost my job, but they kept me on to deal with the paper stock, padding and shop chores, including minding the shop as the left for the day to go to the bar. I learned to work with the customers and remained their until the shop closed its doors a year later.

2) High School -I found a love with photography and in eleventh grade, became a member of the photo crew that was responsible for two darkrooms as well other equipment. In twelfth grade, I headed and ran not only the photo crew, but also acted in the capacity of a teacher's assistant. There were days that started at 6:00am and lasted to 7:00PM, between my duties and working on my own projects.

3) In a sense, the camera became a license for this inquiring person and afforded me many opportunities such as also helping out in raising a hot air balloon; in photographing people of many occupations, I had to gain a better sense of their profession; also learning a lot about equipment including jet aircraft and crash tenders.

3) My favorite day was spent with the Baltimore Sun Photographer, Henry Mortimer on a ride along. I figured it would be a sit back, shut up and watch type situation, but he had me participate in his job capacity as well. Just listening to him as we drove between shoots as more complete then anything that could be learned in school or college. He had me proof, prepare and send my photography to the editors along side of his. Two of my shots were published in their community insert as they expanded the story.

4) Assisting my friend with his Eagle project which was assisting security and acting as a safety at their outdoor seal tank, the dolphin tank and their coral reef. One also ran into trainers, biologists and divers that were more then happy to discuss or demonstrate their occupations to those interested. With my friends, I was also subjected to racially oriented practical jokes that resulted in me being chased around the aquarium by an excited black woman and the Aquarium's director threatening to have me removed off the Aquarium property in hand cuffs.

5) In 1979, I was ready to quit scouts, but my father forced me to remain in until it was time to recharter. During that time, I discovered high adventure and went with a crew as part of the Baltimore Scouting contingent to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. We did a 125 mile backpack trip that took us to various camps along the way. Each camp was different and either was about different aspects of the history or technology of the 1800's or some facet of high adventure like: high powered rifle shooting, rock climbing or mountaineering.

In 1982, three of us decided to return there for a month as part of their Trail Crew. Once there we were greeted with, "So your the assholes." Then we were ridiculed and told what the last trail crew did. Last we were told not to knock on their door, unless it was an emergency. Hell, as seventeen year olds, we had a reputation to live up to.

The first night, someone took our picnic table and we had to knock, their response was, "Oh for Christ's sake, steal one back." We did, but they didn't tell us that we couldn't have one per trail crew member. As we were engineering our pyramid, security walked up to us with their Mag-Lights in hand, pointed the but to use and shined their flashlight at our construction and asked, "Are your the trail crew?" Our Mag-Lights had Krypton bulb and we lit the area up like a stadium. Another guard replied, "Yep! Your are!"

We were hated in base camp, but celebrated in the back county! Our project was to blaze as much trail as we could in fifteen days. We were the real ax-men as the person bringing us chainsaws got a report of beryl and took them back, leaving us only one that a cross cut saw could beat. We hacked full grown Ponderosa Pine out by the roots. Once down, we had to send them down the mountain but bucking off the limbs underneath. This added to the adventure as anyone not working on the bucking, rode the tree down the mountain until thrown off. I never said, any of us were smart.

Back-country loved us as every visiting crew had to participate in a project, but in reality, most crews coasted. If a back-county ranger said he wanted something done, trail crew did it.

Often times with our little twist. We were asked to help out and load 30.06 rounds and to be honest, they were charged to shoot like a 30-30, much lighter recoil. We found the guide of ballistic specs and added to the pile of 500 rounds, about twenty five that were spiced to the maximum allowed charge and mixed them in. The ranger wasn't happy that we rolled a few kids.

Trail was a freebie and we had to pay our own way out. The exchange was for working for fifteen days, trail crew would be split into two groups and your would have one of their backpacking trips. Ours was another 120 miler with twenty five miles being done in one day, over mountainous terrain.

As an adult, I felt that people helping out with me gaining experiences greatly benefited me and for the longest, time felt that most would never be used in real life. All of these skills were combined when I went into nature photography for about seven years. You never know and one of the greatest gifts you can give someone is sharing your experience.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.