General Non-Fiction posted June 8, 2009 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Another 98ROCK crisis with a happy ending.

A chapter in the book Performance Problems -Production

Stash's Story.

by Mike K2

Stash has been a twenty year employee and personality at 98ROCK and at present, resides in the afternoon spot. His show is mainly music, interviews with national and local rock bands, also inserts of listener calls.

Stash is his on air nickname derived from his real name. At the last Flapjacks and Forties, I met him as he came in to The Barn to continue the programming. I told him, "It is finally nice to meet the face behind the radio.

He smiled and simply said, "Hey, Dude! It also nice, meeting the faces from the other side of the radio." That was pretty much it as he immediately went to the broadcast area, put on his head phones and started his show.

He is an enthusiastic and energetic personality and one of the things that I enjoyed the most, occurred with him on other people's shows. He was taking up Karate and doing demonstrations that were scaring the other hosts. He did tend to reach beyond his show as if he was there, he would stop in a chat for a couple of minutes.  He also handles the Maryland Lottery drawings which is on TV in a different part of the building and will stop by and talk with the Theo, the evening host. One important lesson that I learned was never! Ever! Touch the lottery balls; that one is a big deal.

The enthusiasm came through in the interviews which were also a lot more conversational. There was the usual interview stuff, but his love and knowledge for Rock and Roll, also came through, as many stories and experiences were brought out from the people being interviewed. He was also a genuine fan of all of the groups and this really added a warmth to the interviews.

Every host has something unique that they present; with the Morning Show, they have their, "Hate Mail." With Stash it is, "Jail Mail," as he relates communications for the people that can't get out very much. Many of these are constant and you can track them and occasionally there are calls; especially when they get out. I consider this one of the more positive notes as there is a certain positive reinforcement for getting out.

With all of the personal changes and schedule shifts, it is one of those things... 98ROCK is now strong, got through the storms should be able to relax a bit, coast and enjoy their success. In fact I had not even a thought of another problem hitting them. That all changed in December of 2007, shortly after I clocked into work and an employee asked me, "Hey! Do you listen to Stash?"

I replied, "No, what's up?" (He comes on during the day when I am sleeping or doing chores away from the radio.)

"He's not doing good; something happened, like he had an accident and he's in real bad shape." My coworker didn't have any more information, so I tuned in. To some extent, it was frustrating in learning what happened as news was unfolding. Relaying the information to the fans was a process, much like bringing family members up to date. Drips and drabs, "Stash was hurt bad. Stash had an accident at home. Stash fell down the steps and hurt his head. Stash is on a respirator."

I think that one hit home hard and it spelled out, just how dire things actually were. I believe that it was Dave Hill the program director who came on the air and explained what happened. One thing for sure, that meant that everything was up in the air. A lot of people who knew my situation, asked me questions about what was happening as well, my opinion of how Stash is going to come out of this. I gave as open an opinion as I could with the knowledge that I had. "Unlike my mother whose brain damage was throughout her brain, Stash has an area of damage that is much more easily worked around. It depends on how fast the medics got to him to reestablish vital signs and the best indication is how long he remains on life support. The problem with that one is the physcians may purposefully keep him in a comma until his is better healed. From there it is all about how well he is able to go through rehabilitation. Usually brain damage is considered to be permanent after three months."

Stash was watching TV in the basement and walked up the narrow flight of 14 steps and in missing one, fell over back wards; going down the steps and gashing his head on the railing. His wife Trish was right there and noticed blood behind his head, as his chest was rising and falling while he made a snoring sound. She immediately called 911 and their fast response got his needed care underway.

He had fractured his skull and suffered with a closed head injury. It struck me as a positive sign that he was weaned off of the respirator so fast and totally floored me when Stash called the station from the hospital. He explained the accident and also that he really didn't remember it and what was ahead of him before he can come back. He expressed that there were a lot of unknowns. Last he thanked the listeners and the station for all of their support and quite positively, said, "I hope to be back as soon as I can and will do what it takes.

There was one surprise though, he was worried about the effects of the large amount of painkillers that he was given and decided to check himself into Maryland General in order to detoxify himself, and make sure he had no dependence, "I had enough problems and didn't want a third."

In just a couple of months, Stash was back on the air, not only as his usual self, but in my opinion much better for the experience. He was also not afraid to describe the experience, but discuss the causes. He states that though he wasn't intoxicated or drinking at the time of the accident; that his perpetual partying had a cumulative effect and contributed to the accident. Stash had the reputation of being the life of every party. In a WBAL-TV 11 interview, he sums it up best when Stash said, "I was running hard, going a little too fast, chasing the Rock and Roll thing super hard. I'm still going to chase it a little, but I got that established; what is really important is; loving my family."

In that interview he also mentions about the experience of waking up in the totally foreign environment of the ICU and finding himself in restraints and unable to talk. When he realized that he had a breathing tube in his mouth he knew it was serious and he was very frightened. The doctor commented that it was his positive attitude and desire to go back on the air that help to make this an amazing and remarkable recovery.

Stash has his wife Trish and five children, one of whom has autism. Stash attributes the accident as something that woke him up and told him what was important in life. It also made him understand more of what his autistic son experiences when he tries to communicate and can't.

Simply to me, "Stash is Back!" In fine form too.





The WBAL-TV 11 interview came be found on at the 98ROCK, Baltimore website. Locate and click on Jocks and then Stash. It is right next to his name.

Photograph taken of Stash at the 98ROCK tent at the Fells Point Festival, by Michael W. Kohlman; November 2008. Ironically as Stash and myself were talking about head injury, between bands sets, they started playing, "Brain Damage," by Pink Floyd.

To be honest, my mindset about 98ROCK's changes was someone should write their stories up. After talking to Stash, I decided to take the initiative and do it myself. The book on this website is just the start; as I wanted a complete and notated record for a future rewrite that I would submit for publication.

Stash's story is very important to me for two reasons, he is a public figure who despite that complication had the courage to allow his listeners to remain apprised and see his struggle. I believe this was not only an inspiration for him, but should be remembered as an inspiration of us. The second reason is, because of my experiences, I have an interest in head injury and people's recovery.

March 1, 1989, my mother suffered a cardiac arrest at home, from a lack of Potassium. Because it took so long to reestablish her vital signs, she too landed on a respirator. Unlit Stash's are of brain damage which I speculate was minimized by immediate medical treatment and relieving the pressure from the blood upon his brain, my mothers was as the result of the lack of oxygen, throughout her brain. Most severe at the edges and progressively less the close to its' core.

She spent significantly more time at both the hospital and in rehab at the Traumatic Brain Injury Unit at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore. For a month we attended the family support group and learned about the variety of brain injuries and the problems and frustrations that both the family and patient experience. We decided to stop attending as most were closed skull brain injuries and their families were using us as an example of just how lucky they were compared to us. Yes, we had their support, respect and prayers, but we were further brought down.

Mom came home, but required much assistance and personal care. She did OK but with the atypical medical symptoms, I believe suffered more brain damage. She showed lethargy and weakness for a month. After that period, she increasingly became more like Ragan of the Exorcist and it became impossible for us to keep her home. Because of the fact that both restraints and psycho-active medications had to now be used, she had to go to an institutional setting.

My uncle also suffered a cardiac arrest on a subway train, that led to severe brain damage. If my mother was 49% toward death, then my Uncle was 51%. He survived, but for a matter of a few months. What floored me was the difference of family treatment that they experienced. My father and myself basically caught holy hell for the way we care for mom, as well any decision that we made. My Uncle and his family had the families sympathy as well their desires and prayers that he pass on so not to be a burden.

I took over the guardianship of my mother so that my father could remarry and found out that anything to do with mom had the reverse Midas touch as even the simplest problem turned to shit. I had to procure a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) Order from the courts. This was immediately awarded to my aunt in reference to my uncle. With me it took constant work and became quite a production to execute.

Most people like my mother, do not survive; the ones that do usually are institutionalized as there needs are so much more then a family can provide. In one case, their mother was so violent that they locked her in her room, only opening the door to pass food. She was eventually found dead as the mother put the food under the bed.

Because of one experience, I do have a sense of what a brain injury patient goes through. I high school a person I had a love for and wanted to be with, was killed by a drunk driver. I didn't realize it, but I was running on instinct and basically blamed myself for being so shy. The next year in Photography School a group of girls attending, tried to convince me that I had amnesia. I made fun of them and called the crazy. About ten years later, memories came flooding back and I know had a whole new thing to deal with. The emotions were incredible, my first thought was, "Bullshit!," but over the next few years, I was able to verify many facts. In the mean time, my moods were swing back and forth, as well the disbelief and frustration was amazing.

Another form of brain damage is mentioned in my poem, "Andy Manlove." He literally lost part of his brain from a required surgical procedure to remove the cancer his brain had. The poem and notes contains his struggles and mindset throughout out the time that I knew him.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.