Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted June 2, 2009


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a reflective tetractys

Where turns the mother?

by adewpearl



When
emptied
food pantries
can't meet the need,
where turns the mother with children to feed?





Tetractys Contest writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Tetractys is a simple and interesting form of poetry. Write a poem, with only five lines. Each line adds one syllable until the last stanza which has ten syllables. See an example and details in the announcement.

Recognized


My oldest niece, Eileen, is turning 50 tomorrow. She serves on my church's local mission committee with me, and in researching places that might benefit from the funds we raise, she found a food pantry near her home where the director showed her the place she hides the peanut butter and jelly because it is their scarcest commodity. She keeps it out of view so there is not a run on the few jars she has. Eileen has asked all those attending her party this weekend to bring jars of peanut butter and jelly instead of presents for her so she can help restock that shelf at the pantry.
I serve breakfast at a shelter every Tuesday. Today I brought five dozen hard boiled eggs with me from ladies at my church - the eggs ran out 45 minutes before breakfast service did. For 45 minutes I had to look into the disappointed eyes of those who came after 8:15 as I uttered the words over and over, "Sorry, we ran out." The last two people I served before we close at 9 were a grandmother who often comes in with her toddler grandchild. There is not one thing that makes this delightful little boy we all call Boo different from your children and grandchildren other than the fact that he eats at soup kitchens. The world is too much with me lately.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.