General Poetry posted May 22, 2009 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The source of knowledge is all around.

A chapter in the book Performance Problems -Production

Gleaning From The Air Waves.

by Mike K2

When I started writing poetry, I had planned to study the various forms and contributions of the great authors. Also I felt there was a certain way to go about moving through the poetic world. I found that I enjoyed writing so much that there is only one person that I can credit for being the mud rubbed into my eyes that gave me poetic vision; even how to weave several meanings into a line or stanza.  That shy and quiet woman who took my poetic cherry, then headed for distant trees.

Likewise, I had learned to see real life poetry progressing before my eyes, teaching me how to express my thoughts into language much like a painter puts the pigments on the canvas that becomes a painting and teaching how to use imagery and language to convey my observations, thoughts and feelings.

But there are several more facets to poetry that contain, motifs, personas themes and various ways to communicate it to people, more daunting then the actual writing at times. It was listening to Mickey, Amelia and Spiegel and observing the works of 98ROCK that has been the best help.

I think the most important quality was gained when Mickey first went on the air, cold to radio and struggled with getting his show up and running. He never quit and even found use of failures into comedic bits. Poetry delivers many setbacks and I think that desire, patience and perseverance have a lot to do with eventual success. Also with a good spirit, one simply makes the best use with what they have, but not in losing sight of the bigger picture.

The inspiration is watching three personalities, plus a host of behind the scene people, struggle and learn to work together until the show is number one. There are poems that involve weaving together several aspects and just like people, they always don't work together very well. The key is in constantly reconsidering and adapting.

Seeing the shows develop over the air also let me feel so not alone as there are many commonalities with poems that are created. If the show feels that something they do will generate interest, they will put it out there. I saw from this, unexpected positive results. So much so, I ask myself who might be interest in my poem and I make an effort to make them aware of its existence. Using as many ways as possible, I have done the same.

Mickey says he loves promoting and has many ideas; I have learned the same and if I can lend a hand to something that I like, I do so to the best of my ability. I don't look for reciprocity, there is joy in the effort and I feel that when things are right for them that there will be a response. No need in looking for immediate gratification.

Another aspect I learned from his is courage. Not everything Mickey does works out as planned, but his is constantly inquiring and adapting. With one poem, that I haven't yet written; I use racial tension to draw in one's attention in and then contrasts to redefine the poem and finally come to a conclusion. Since it involves race, I feared that a black person wouldn't stick with it enough to follow it to its conclusion and there is a certain Black person's approval and understanding.

I didn't expect the approval or the encouragement that I received, even having suggestions made so that it could be adapted to reflect problems encounter in the inner city. It also created a dialog and I joked that I could do a comedic routine on the N-word. Now I had their attention, in the course of joking about a routine, the black person identified with and even added to the routine and was encouraged to actually do it. Most likely it would be an all black venue as most white people become nervous or uncomfortable these days. The commonality is that most of us have shared similar experiences in life. I was jokingly accused of slipping in philosophies and social messages as well.

Mickey is a comedian and I never thought about the delivery of a poem and as I started writing, considered a performance aspect of it. It improved my poetry tremendously; I never expected that humor would play such a big part in many of my poems. "Oh! Poor Pandora," was one such poem to where I took a classic myth and converted to a modern life about a loose woman who was a tease. There are many poems of mine as well.

For me it was unique to see a show being put together and the production aspects of it were amazing. Any giving show, I am exploring that aspect and at a concert, I am checking out the sound, the performers, lighting and pyrotechnics. I am simply amazed at the creativity of that aspect. Having helped bands, I know the hard work that is involved and appreciate that. That is one reason that I extend the courtesy of offering free the photographs that I take.

My poems have a production aspect as well. I sent a poem of mine to the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and after some time they replied favorably. I had just got an idea to create a humorous poem that would expose the Grand Piano for the fraud that it was, as they cost several grand. I figured that I had their ear so I requested if it would be possible to be photographed before the dressed orchestra in a Speedo that would be photoshopped out later and I offered the image to be used in their fundraising efforts. It took them, about two minutes to respond that they wouldn't be interested. They would rather have their musicians give back about a million dollars. How can I say that I feel sorry for them; my funds are down as well.

However when something in a projects production fails, I have learned to shift gears to the situation and not give up. At a later date, the poem will be resurrected, when I have more time available to put into seeking the photograph. It is the discussions between Mickey, Amelia, Spiegel, the 98ROCK and its listeners that taught me to always seek a new angle and never fear reworking something.

Last is the radio itself. As children, somewhere along the line we acted out being a radio personality, DJ, musician or actor. I was actually asked to be on the show once to appear with my Theremin, but with actually having to work, I needed to arrange a little time and for transportation. They decided to decline.

I have also called the AM side of talk radio in response to a lady, Terry Shivo who caught in a custody battle between her parents and her husband. He husband had won and it was planned for her to be removed from the respirator. My mother had come off of the respirator and survived, but since both the injuries and the circumstances were similar, I felt compelled and make my view known, though it was unpopular. Though the hosts didn't agree with me, they gave me the necessary time to convey my family history, make my view known and answer any questions that they had.

I then considered being able to do radio a skill and in a sense, worked harder on presenting myself better and working with topics. Some I chose at random. Ironically, the FanStory site was to be the biggest help as after doing thousands of reviews, one becomes sharp in getting a lot of detail fast and confident in expressing opinions quickly. I put so much of myself in those reviews that I didn't worry about what people think; I gained in honesty and being straight forward.

With poetry, I wondered if I could tough out their show for a segment. First question, why did you start writing poetry? When I thought about that one, I busted out laughing as I had a definite FM answer. "To convince people, that I wasn't crazy." The truth was my first poem was a last ditch effort to convey to people what I was actually getting from caving. That deep reason, why I was doing it; the stories were simply scaring the hell out of people as I was living in their worst nightmares. Those stories involved with getting lost, stuck, equipment malfunctions that cased acetylene fires and explosion and rocks dropping out of the ceiling. In the end, the poem immediately worked.

How could I demonstrate the power that poetry posses? Turn it into a bit to where the station is taken over. All that is needed is a board of balloons.

Amelia: Good morning people and welcome to the show, but as usual, Mickey is late, but josh is ready with the news. Excuse me sir you're not allowed in here. What the hell! [Yelling off mike as if running out of the studio] Hey we got a problem in here and need security.

Guest: [Read the poem, "Martyr"]

Scott the Producer: Look you son of a bitch! If you're going to take over the radio station, at least identify it!"

Guest: You're listening to 98Rock!" [Pops a balloon.] Who are you?

Josh: Josh Spiegel

Guest: You look Jewish?

Josh: I am!

Guest: Good! Then we both will be martyrs! [pop, pop]

[After a short delay Mickey comes into the studio]

Mickey: Oh, my God! What happened? This is horrible, he missed Amelia

Thinking about such things can help firm one's mind in thinking about responses.  For instantance, I tell them that I am a poetic writer and when they ask me the difference compared to a poet, " Well, my poetry has a greater range and variety and other elements such as drama. I also am afraid that if I call myself one, because  I will end up  suffering as much as they seem to do."  It gets a good laugh as there is that  perception of a poet.

Within many of my individual poems, there is some element of performance or drama. That could be in using word usage as a vehicle to establish timing, much like a song; set a mood or be more dramatic. That the whole point in a successful poem, to create a mood in a way that someone can identify with.

Last, the Mickey, Amelia and Spiegel show even contributed to actually creating poems. Having to work between two splits of a shift, walking to work or writing; the program is my main entertainment and as such has created several ideas. Mickey complained that life sucks and there a club named, "The Bad S Association, "Where people can go to simply share everyone's problems. I got a kick out of this and created, "The Bad Sheet Association," which was actually my response on why one wouldn't work. I figure if I went to a meeting, I could keep people entertained for days, but the problems is, there is always someone that has it worse the you.

Josh felt insecure and inquired about grooming the private area. I got a kick and penned a poem called, "One in the Bush." The poem was done in such a way that that it spelled, "MANSCAPING," down the side. After a few days, Josh got his wish and got trimmed up a bit. The sound of his screens when he got waxed was not only priceless; it was only topped by the screams of his on the air prostate exam, as he feared he had prostate cancer.

In all honesty, I do not believe that I would be the aspiring, undaunted writer that I have become. I would have been more worried about the making the poem.





Photograph of Michael W. Kohlman taken as a self-portrait. He had set up his Theremin on Halloween to great the tricker-treaters.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.