General Poetry posted May 22, 2009 Chapters:  ...3 4 -5- 6... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Major Changes for 98ROCK

A chapter in the book Performance Problems -Production

Morning Show-Death and Resurrection

by Mike K2

Until around year 2,000; radio shows weren't too much a part of my life in the mornings, as I tended to tune into one on the AM side just to catch the news. I mostly enjoyed listening to my personal music collection; but the pressman on our night shift, as it approached a double would then tune our shop radios to the Kirk, Mark and Lopez Show that 98ROCK aired. After a while, I found the show entertaining and enjoyable, so I started tuning my personal radio in as well.

They had been on for a while and it was quite a polished show that had their commentaries and bits, interviews with celebrities, and wacky commercial parodies on such products as On Star. On could also pick up snippets of a baseball game being played with a seemingly professional announcer that would stray of the games calls with gay comments about the players. It kept one's mind off the problems and made work go by faster.

Increasing one's personal identity and interest with the show were such events as 911 and Lopez's developments with cancer, eventually leading to his passing. In listening to their personal stories, one could detect a bit of attitude as you would gain in the conversations of behind the scenes and special treatments at events. Lopez was always Lopez, but with Kirk and Mark; they not only enjoyed the radio life for their popular show, they seemingly came across as the main success of 98ROCK.

There was a long pause in getting another, on board newsman and the news was read with guest celebrities and comics reading the news. After a seemingly long period, a new newsman and commentator came on board named Josh Spiegel who then teamed up with Kirk and Mark. There seemed to be an uneasy tension from the start. Josh would give the news and then come out with an offbeat or comment of a weird nature and the show would come to a stop.

If Kirk and Mark were talking and Josh chimed in, there seemed to be a bit of a rudeness extended. My coworker eventually stated that Kirk and Mark, really don't like him very much and seem to resent Josh being there. I simply stated, "Well Josh is not only the new guy on board, he is replacing an icon of a newsperson that worked with Kirk and Mark for quite some time. I feel it is a matter of Josh working in his shtick into the program."

Spiegel's radio career actually started 33 years ago at age 11. He lived in Maryland and volunteered in the newsroom of WMDO, a Spanish speaking station. He learned the ins and outs and actually started to report the weather on air in English until the Spanish speaking listeners complained. In 1989, he played a role on the National Public Radio's annual Christmas play all things considered, by reading lines with Robert Siegel, Nina Totenburg and Daniel Scorr. Bitten by the radio bug, he read the weather and a few odd jobs for several Baltimore and DC Stations and interned at age 14 with WNAV in Annapolis, MD.

At age 16, he was the youngest to intern with NBC News in Washington and a few months later was named News Intern at WPGC, considered DC's #1 station, where he received several breaks and became a street reporter. As he states, he received the break of his life by being put on the air and anchoring breaking news and special reports. He considers, David Hines his mentor who taught him things that you don't learn in journalism school.

He continued his education with college in New York as well the internships, now including TV. In 1997 he became a news anchor in Baltimore WXYV, also writing news for WJX-TV. Several years later he moved to Dallas and anchored the news on talk station KLIF and then on to Denver with the radio station, KYGO. Coming back to Washington, DC in 2004 for the radio station, KYGO and in 2005 became a News Anchor for WHFS. Six months later it was on to 98ROCK.

Throughout his career, he has earned numerous rewards including one from Baltimore's, "City Paper," for personality of the year. Personality? He has too much, as he interjects his insecurities of his social awkwardness, personal hygiene, weight, appearance, and doing everyday chores. He is publically mildly, but consistently anti-Semitic despite that fact that he is Jewish himself. On air he once explained it as such, "Well, I am Jewish and I hate myself...Why not them as well." As everyone tried to figure him out; my speculation is that he remains behind the window, whether it is the, "Big News Window" at work or the one he hides behind at home, smiling. I had a friend in Scouts exactly like him; my friend enjoyed his antics and even changed his voice to a high pitch for years.

Their big get together with the 98ROCK fans was a event called, "Flapjacks and Forties;"  forties being a forty ounce bottle of National Bohemian Beer that could be purchased for a $1.50. I took off from work as an upcoming one was being held at The Barn which was a bar up the road in Parkville that I had never been to. Their entire days broadcasts were all going to be done as remotes.

It turned out to be quite enjoyable and all of the stations fans that attended were a great crowd and enjoyed it. Some guests came in, Kirk's band played during the commercials and there was even a living Christmas Tree; a stripper dressed like an elf that wore a string of lights, this was used to collect money for the Marine's, Toys for Tots campaign. The atmosphere was incredible.

There was only one technical personal problem to be dealt with; it took fifteen minutes to go from one end of the bar to the other to get to the bathroom. The line was about half of the length and you sort of traveled by applying pressure and pushing though the crowd, more or less by osmosis. While in line, you realized two things, you got the urge to go too late and you postulate just how many forties were served.

I had just made to the urinal for that sweet relief, when Mark came in and pushed me out of the way. He started laughing and coolly said, "I guess that you really didn't realize that us talk show hosts were that rude, but man I just had to go!"

I took things light heartedly and coolly stated that I understand the time constraints that exist with radio shows. Mark thanked me; then I added, "Besides with your egos, I am amazed to see that you pee at all." There is a time that no man should be hit with humor as the, results of his reaction was like a loose fire hose.

Back outside, I prepared for more action, I decided that my now ex-wife was right and sinceshe had already punished me for my transgretion of the future; I purchased a Christmas Tree ornament for decoration to be placed on the stripper. Unfortunately, the little wire slipped out in mid flight and the ornament dropped and broke. At the sound of breaking glass, the entire affair erupted in, "Too!.. Many!.. Forties!" However Santa was my only witness,  I appealed to him to provide me with another as the wire was defective and they had to be under warranty. It was a kind Christmas.

It was also a chance to meet other people at the radio that worked behind the scenes. The morning shows producer who the personalities would talk about, but if it was anything that you heard from her, it was off- mike most of the time. She was Stephanie Drummond and one could watch her running around keeping the show on track behind the scenes, a fairly short woman, with long red hair and wearing an elf's costume.

Another person that I saw was Dave Hill the Program Director. He was dressed up and with his long bleach blond hair, enjoyed playing Mr. Cool. Sort of pointing, waving and smiling to various people in the crowd. I caught him downstairs, where they served the breakfast and chatted. I told him that I was very happy with both the Morning Show and Mickey and Amelia and that it made me tune in as a constant listener. Dave replied that he was happy with things too.

I then told him that allowing Mickey to develop his show is an incredible thing for such a large rock station to do and amazed that he wasn't removed from the air and we cracked a few jokes and I shared my opinion. I believe that Dave was also a relatively new program director there. Later after the show, Mark walked up to me and talked several times, I believe that he remembered the statement that I made in the bathroom.


It wasn't very long after that event that we tuned in one morning and Mickey and Amelia were now on the morning show. It caught our attention, as usually it would be a guest personality. The pressman picked up on that immediately and said, "How can they be doing two shows during the day?"  At first there was a hesitancy, but in fairly short order they explained that Kirk and Mark were up for a contract negotiation and couldn't come to an agreement with 98ROCK and left.

The first few shows were very bumpy and there was this sort of awe that both Mickey and Amelia had about getting the morning show gig.  Again Mickey was in the position of making this work, but what was done in the afternoons and evenings wasn't working, the shows time allotment was much tighter, as there was a lot more activity to fit in. Mickey told his audience that they are doing the best that they can, they will figure it out and hopefully soon, will provide a show of the quality that they had with Kirk and Mark.

I sensed a tension with the Morning Show's producer Stephanie Drummond and in a short while there was a new producer; I feared that she had quit, but found out months later that she had moved on with a different personality during the midday show. For a while the show was going through various producers. Other producers became personalities or DJs and worked occasionally nights and weekends.

Just as it has been, the new morning show had became an on air production. At times Mickey was frustrated as people were sitting on him with his ideas as was the latest producer, Scott Reardon. It was a double edged sword to give producers air time, Mickey leaned on the producer and bucked things and Scott was not bashful and simply said (to paraphrase), "Look I have to deal with you guys and I have to deal with management. Everyone has their demands and they all rest on my shoulders, my job is to get you guys with the program."

Mickey then stated that to be like the morning show, then they needed the guests, the caliber that Kirk and Mark had. Scott said he is working on it, but that is something that is going to take time and he shot back for them to do their jobs and get with the program. Then there were the on air calls to their boss, Dave Hill, the Program Director as well others. People at work complained about the distractions, but being interested in the behind the scenes, I reveled in it and listened with interest.

Josh was still the newsman, commentator and odd man out. Mickey frequently talked over Josh's newscasts. You could tell that Josh was irritated but didn't admit to it; then Mickey really started making fun of him. My coworker also picked up on this and asked me about my thoughts. I said, "Well, there are problems but I think Mickey is trying to get at something. I don't detect any bitterness behind it."

Yet, Josh always backed down, until there was a total, on air blow up and point of tears argument with Josh screaming, "Well the hell with it! I quit!" Then he left the studio.

There was a short speculation wondering if he was serious and Mickey placed a call to the program director, Dave Hill. Mickey and Dave talked and Dave let Mickey know that he heard it from the radio. Then Dave let everyone know that Josh just came in and at Mickey's request, that they discuss this over the air, Dave simply said, "Ahhhh. No," as he hung up.

You might not think that Amelia was there, but she was doing a bang up job with everything. Not only was she a frequent speaker and contributer; at times she was producer, sister and mother.  Being more vocal now, she expressed more opinions and constantly produced callers that had to tell her that she was wrong. This also created a lot of interesting exchanges within the show. The next day, Josh was back and to me the shows interchange vastly improved.

Really the guest spots didn't disappear; they were filled with a lot of comedians and local talent. I remember one comedian and musician was Kelly Bell. He is a black person and treated the almost entire white listening audience to Whitey comments. A lot of people were taken aback but I expressed my opinion, "He was just throwing the comments out there to see what would stick with humor." I enjoyed this glimpse as I considered it a development as many listeners took exception and complained.

He has since made other appearances and I enjoyed him. Joking about presidential candidate Barak Obama was pretty much off-limits, but when asked how he felt about a Black president in the white house, he stated" Well at least we can now call it the Half-White House." When asked if he was going to impersonate Barak Obama, he said, "I'm not going to reduce myself to doing beige face." I saw that this was a win, win situation for both Mickey's Comedy Factory and 98ROCK.

I didn't think that the comedy aspect was Mickey's best talent for the show. It is the fact that he managed businesses and could not only explain such aspects to the listeners, but also showed a zeal for getting the people that he admired on air. Also with performers that he admired, he talked shop.  Whether actor or comedian, they appreacited this and talked about their craft and gave stories being the scenes. This exposed the typical 98ROCK listener to a facet of life, most are not privy to. To me he also demonstrated why people should develop such interests early on.

My favorite business guest of his was Ed Hale. One of the richer people in Maryland, being the Chairman  and Chief Executive Officer of First Mariner Bank and owner of the Baltimore Blast; a businessman to say the least. One of the most valuable stories for the listeners is that he had it all; multiply houses, yachts and material possessions; but that he pared it down for a more simpler life that he could enjoy more. He also said how he got involved in banking. As an owner of a shipping firm, he applied for a loan and was denied because they didn't like dealing with such people. He started buying shares and did a proxy takeover, which launched him into the banking business.

He is also available to explain the various decisions and crisis's as his bank wasn't immune. Not really getting a fair shake from most of the media, he came on 98ROCK to freely talk about his business decisions and not only their effects, but the remedies as well. Mr. Hales controversy was the number of bad loans, which can be paraphrased, "Well, we saw a market that lied between the people that could qualify as secured loans and the loans that could be done with other programs. Now these people could pay, but when the economy turned down, they were the first to lose their jobs. Unfortunately, the one thing that shareholders don't want to hear is that the crisis is manageable, but it will take time."

The Flapjacks and Forties event turned into, "Beer and Bacon," again held at the barn. At the start of the show the attendance was spares, but had built up by 8:00am, yet it was very comfortable. I enjoyed that show, but most notable was the program director, who was glued to a pole behind the personalities with his eyes one them. To further heighten the feeling of concern was his appearance, which reminded me of an oppressed person from a European Ghetto. The fact that he now shaved his head didn't help. (He bleached it too much and decided that it is best off, as I found out at a later time.)

He was in no mood to talk, but I went behind the line to chat. I expressed my opinion that they are doing fine and people will come around and he said that he hoped that I was right. The last event they were on location for the entire day. I expressed my dissatisfaction that this isn't going to happen this time. Dave simply said, "No way! Not with knowing how this is going to turn out." I asked how he felt the show was developing and he said, "I'm happy, but with things are the way they are, everything is tentative for a while." I expressed my feelings that things are going to work out and he expressed his appreciation.

Throughout all of this the show had its detractors and they had no problems of calling up and expressing the dissatisfaction or heckling. But Mickey was a comedian and they made bits out of much of that. They even started a segment called, "Hate Mail." The period that Kirk and Mark couldn't be on the airwaves was ready to lapse and the station, date and time was known.  After these calles died down, they added a segment of programing called, "Hate Mail."  They read on air the hate mail that they received for the week and everybody has a blast with it.

Callers called up and chided that they can't wait to ditch them and go back to Kirk and Mark. At work it was made know that everybody had enough of Mickey, Amelia and Spiegel and the station will be changed. My coworker pushed the point and I snapped the headphones on my head and said that I had my own radio. He wanted me to tune into Kirk and Mark and I promised that I would.

Mickey made no bones about his place or opinion. This is a synopsized paraphrase, "Look people, Kirk and Mark were on this station for a very long time. We know that you are going to go back to them. Me, I'm not worried the morning show really isn't made up of single listeners who listeners who listen throughout; the morning is called morning drive because people tune in and out, usually on their way to work."

"I can't worry about them, because I have my own show to run and I am going to give it my best. True, you decide, but that isn't an excuse to lose faith and not do our jobs. As far as I am concerned, we will be her and it wouldn't be a total loss if you tune in to them and then us as well. We'll see how it all works out."

When Kirk and Mark went on the air, they basically started, "Thank God were away from that station." The proceeded to demonize 98ROCk and the people now there, made fun of Mickey, Amelia and Spiegel and really rubbed it in. What I didn't expect was for them, to disrespect and call the listeners names such as losers and stupid and make fun. They had their fair share of callers thanking them for finial getting on the air, but the conversations took a tone that I didn't like. After an hour, I tuned back to 98ROCK; the next day it took only a half an hour. Throughout their program this was this spirit of rehashing grievances and demeaning the station and more importantly, the listeners.

The third day, much the same, to the point my coworker asked me, "Weren't we listeners to their show on 98ROCK?" A short time later he requested that I retune the radio back to 98ROCK. Both of us were hurt. Listeners were also calling 98ROCK as telling them what was being said and Mickey basically stated in this paraphrase, "I don't know why they are doing what they're doing; I don't think it is necessary. It like they forgot that it was at 98ROCK that gave them their name and supported them. I know what they now say about me, but it funny as they were the ones to encourage me to get into radio and they helped me out. Angry? I'm more hurt then angry, but we are not going to do the same to them. Quite frankly that would take time away from this show."

A while later the ratings came out and 98ROCK was on top, even Mickey was surprised and humbled as  this as it meant that the show had an average of 1,000,000 views per show about 100,000 at a time. It was funny for the number of listeners that were irritated with the show and Mickey, Amelia or Spiegel, many people really listened.

In short time, the bigger names in authors, actors, comedians and musicians. The interviews were incredible and even with a list of points not to discuss with the person. Very often the show would respectably enquire with fairness and the person would open up and use the show as a platform to explain things. You got to see more of the actual person behind the name. Most were quite up to a bit of wacky humor or parody. With the comedians, they would state what band member they actually called up to impersonate another. When that person was being interviewed, they also had the comedian, "Oh you that person that tried to convince me that you were Paul."

It really made for lively interviews. Another facet is Mickey's genuine interest in performance and asked some really probing questions in that area. Often, the interviewee was totally shocked and flattered and really opened up with his experiences. If necessary, with Mickey translating for the average listener; much insight was gained with the behind the scenes material. The levity always didn't work out, I couldn't wait for Bea Author who played Dorothy. I couldn't wait until Josh started his weirdness as I loved Bea's humor on the show. Well at the first outburst from Josh, the show came to a halt with tension and it was obvious that they would lose the interview if it continued. Amelia chimed in with an apology and Mickey tried to explain things, but it was Bea's way or no way.

At another time, I was actually praying that Josh wasn't going to be weird with another Golden Girl, Betty White who played the more innocent Rose. Well he didn't and Betty simply used her humor to not only shred Josh but to totally intimidate him into a corner. I was rolling on the floor with her. One never expected to find out that she loved doing standup and used it at a drop of the hat. It is nice to know more than the persona, but the actual person behind the name.

The show has it regulars that appear from time to time, but the unpredictability of the show, is one of the major things that people have learned to love. Now with Mickey's insistence and demand with a snap of the finger, he can have anyone named on the air within seconds. Ok, no matter who it is, they have the same name; most likely the producer, but they will have you laughing. In one case they did this in response to a popular, U-Tube video where the lady stated her case for not voting for Barak Obama, the video was funny itself. Eventually the show did arrange for the lady to be on the show and it turned out to be a great interview; "Hurray, for the red, white and blue!"

Many of the mistakes that would have stopped most shows have become bits or turned into good programming. One time, morning show personnel had caused a total evacuation of their building which included 98ROCk, WBAL(am), WBAl-TV and a host of other companies, plus a complete response of Baltimore City Fire equipment. The best account came from the building's chief engineer who had to deal with the evacuation, then locate the source of the fire alarm, only to find that behind glass doors, was two morning show personal happy as crap at the successful test of a smoke machine that they acquired for a stripper's appearance the next day.

Before that the station underwent a remodeling and equipment overhaul as they were converting to digital radio. 98ROCK now had three radio stations and super state of the art equipment. Hand it to Mickey to use dead air to his advantage. When 98ROCK went off the air, within ten seconds on of the other stations they now carried switched on. Mickey created caller contests making the station go dead and switching over. Eventually, it became a personal betting practice; Mickey was winning at first, then as the anti was upped, he started losing big time. Then the person in charge was walking past him with a smile and rumors were circulating that Mickey was being suckered. Well, the HD program director was listening and changing the programming accordingly. Who laughed the most, was the listeners. 

Mickey still hasn't mastered the board and to help give him an incentive to get it right, the had a T-shirt give-a-way. If he meesed up; alarms and claxtons would sound and a voice would come over the air, "Mickey can't run the board for shhh.  Be the sixth caller to receive your, "Mickey can't run the board for shh  T-shirt." The only problem was if anyone goofed up, people immediately called for the T-shirt.

Some things remain the same as Dave Hill is studious in his job and checks out the food that people supply is up to the stations standards and makes studio appearances to ensure that strippers, porn stars, cheerleaders or any other woman that he hears is beautiful is treated well. It has become a listener staple. Starting as an intern and now the assistant producer, still has that gung ho enthusiasm. He is the first to step up to the plate, when called upon. When Michael Phelps' bong hit photograph was published, the Morning show sent him, megaphone in hand for an intervention. I wasn't happy about this as I considered it bad taste, but in the end is was hilarious. Mickey was telling him what to say and after several segments, the buildings manager said that the police are called. After a commercial break, the show found out that he left before the police arrived and made him go back to admit to being the one. Though the police weren't allowed on the air, the interchange was relayed. Mike Anderson also ran and walked from the area where he lived, to work which was forty miles away. He started before midnight and arrived before the show ended, he did so with a Forrest Gump like crowd.

Another aspect is that Mickey, Amelia and Spiegel are not on air personas as their everyday life finds its way into the mix. Amelia recently drove everyone nuts with her anticipation of her Camaro that she ordered; from the day she ordered it to the day it arrived, every detail was included, even hugging the transporter as she saw it on the truck. Mickey expressed his frustration and humor for his daughter ending up going on TV first, with the The Ellen DeGeneres Show because there was a video of his daughter who was going to kick a monster's, "ashked." She was taught never to cuss, but the situation needed some strong language.

Likewise, when his mom became ill with an infection, you learned of it and the remedy which was extreme. You walk away with a sense that we are just as much a part of their lives as they end up with ours, but to a point. One listener showed up and wanted to see the show, so it sort of became an on air clinic explaining to listeners how to find them at appropriate times. 

The last Beer and Bacon held again at The Barn in Parkville, had Dave Hill the program director much more relaxed and it was so crowded, that they actually had to turn 500 listeners away.  The Beer and Bacons held at Looneys are a bit more comfortable and it is great to be able to have a Manhattan at 6:00am. To me, for the most part I enjoy the crowd equally and there are seldom any problems, which is something that you wouldn't expect for the demographics that make up rock listeners.  However there were several people in business suits, black listeners that make up less then six percent of the listener-ship and responding to one of their contests, senior citizens rocked out with us to try for the prize.

It is amazing the amount of criticism the show has, yet maintains it ratings. To me it is great news that everyone on the show, signed two year contracts; and with the enthusiasm, creativity and commitment, the show will be long in running; one day things will change, but I hope it will be a long while.  It also has its fan base and though radio is built on demographics, just like the show has its idiosyncrasies. When one of the shows members isn't there, it feels lacking and more anemic in atmosphere. While lessons can be gained from them and this experience, I really don't believe that they can either be copied or duplicated.





Photograph of 98ROCKs Morning show taken at Looney's in canton, by Michael W. Kohlman Dec. 2008. Seated (L to R) are Amelia, Mickey and Spiegel. Standing is Steve Huber, Asst. Promotions and Music Director and at the microphone is Dave Hill, 98ROCKs Program Director who is checking up on a squad of Towson University cheerleaders or dancers.

The personal information on Josh Spiegel was obtained from the Wikipedia and his personal web site.

Other sources include the 98ROCK website, the Wikipedia, the IMDB and direct websites of shows.

Stephanie Drumond, the producer for the Kirk, Mark and Lopez Show, eventually left 98ROCK and went to another company for Hearst that was in the building. She bacame a producer for WBAL-TV.

Kirk and Mark continued on, until their show was cancled due to the fact that their new station changed format.

Kirk made an appearance on 98ROCKs morning show, December 28, 2009, with Mickey, as a guest sitting in for Amelia. It was a no holds barred treatise explaining why he decided to leave 98ROCK and describing the various developments to his radio life since leaving. In describing his move to WHFX, then to Ocean City radio to his current position at DC's classic rock station, "105.9 The Edge." It was done in an interesting fashion as they compare the various radio stations to analogies with baseball teams. To me it not only provided quality entertainment, information, but provided a further tribute to 98ROCK and its business.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.