Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted May 16, 2009 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a reflective quatrain

A chapter in the book Quaterns: Observations on Life

I Dreamed I Wore Orion's Belt

by adewpearl


I dreamed I wore Orion's belt
to mark the way in dead of night
for wand'ring souls who'd lost their way,
whose course my stars could set aright.

Heroic, in eternal stance,
I dreamed I wore Orion's belt,
the Bible and the Iliad,
two ancient books within I dwelt.

My legendary exploits told
by storytellers 'cross the globe,
I dreamed I wore Orion's belt,
loosed only by the God of Job.

A million years this legend's lived --
this hubris but one night I felt.
Though I know death's my destiny,
I dreamed I wore Orion's belt.







Recognized


The three stars of Orion's belt have been visible in the night sky for a million years, and astronomers estimate they will stay visible in this formation for almost two million more. This constellation of the hunter is the most recognizable of constellations along with Ursa Major, the Big Bear, or Big Dipper. The stars of the belt are, like the North Star, used in navigation, and the constellation appears in records of the Babylonians, the Greeks and Romans, the ancient Egyptians, the Chinese, Indians, ancient Scandinavians, Native Americans and Australian aborigines.
In addition to all these cultures having their own legends about the figure in the constellation, the constellation itself is mentioned in The Odyssey, The Iliad, the Aeniad, Horace's Odes and the Bible. God asks in Job, "Can you loose Orion's belt?" This refers to God's power - only the Creator can change the configuration of these stars - and over the course of the next couple million years, the configuration will eventually change.
Hubris is a concept in ancient literature that means pride - many mortals were punished by the gods for exhibiting hubris, some belief that they had as much power or skill as the gods did. It would indeed be hubris for a mere mortal to believe he or she could live as long as Orion, save sailors and other lost souls for millions of years like Orion, live in legend for generations and generations like Orion.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.