Humor Poetry posted May 8, 2009


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
It's the eyes and ears.

The Twilight of Romance

by Mike K2

It's amazing being 80 and married,
celebrating our 50th year.
She must have caught a second
wind, as romance once again rears.

She made some treats and put on a note,
"You're Sweet, I'll be home soon."
I hope not, I've been on the throne
all day, like I ate a container of prunes.

On the table she put that cheap bottle of wine,
that we used to drink, "Drink up! Can't wait to see ya!"
I remember that it was hard to drink down,
but not that it tasted like, Milk of Magnesia.

Sitting on the couch, she poked my
ribs had a seductive romantic growl.
We were watching, "American Idol,"
she pointed and made fun of Simon Cowell.

After all of these years, we made love for a long
time and finally sleeping she said that it was good!

That's funny?

I woke up and went downstairs, the coffee maker's
broken on the floor and across the refrigerator
is written, "Would you stay up longer, if you could?"





The first part of the stanza is more or less, how the elderly man perceives his relationship. The second part is more the truth or how the woman perceives it, even getting frustrated at times.

It is interesting how much a cynical thought can lead to a humorous poem. The way my life has gone, I figure to be about 80 for a relationship. It prompted a churning of my mind on how that one would go, combining a list of medical conditions, observations and human nature. This is a survival mechanism that keeps me from quiting my job.

When you become older there is a decline, but everyone's is different. I knew next door neighbors like this and even up in years, they loved each other. However, Mr. Tom would describe that love in both the past and present. When he described aspects of the present, his wife would make funny faces. Miss Marge simply said, "Well, he can find love in an argument. Best let him see that love."

My mother suffered severe brain damage and for a while, we were able to have her out and about. Then unpredictable things happened. My father was pulling something off of the shelf in a super market when he heard an elderly man yell, "Hey lady! What are you doing?" My mother was stuffing him into the large supermarket freezer. To mom she was putting the ice cream away. When they got home, mom said, "I got in trouble for putting away the icecream... You never put it away either." That is how she saw things and it is called visual anosmia. The doctor that diagnosed this told my father about a book, "The Man That Mistook His Wife for a Hat, and other clinical stories.

For this poem, I sort of role played as I went around the kitchen. Yes, I have Sun Sweet Prunes. Not the Milk of Magnesia, though. I wanted to use a beverage and the shape of the bottle that I remember is similar to Mad Dog 20/20. Something I never would touch, but similar to Boons Farm. What young lovers may enjoy on the cheap.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.