Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted May 6, 2009


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a septolet about the test of time

May 6, 1940 - May 6, 2009

by adewpearl



The Pulitzer
announced --
Steinbeck's
Grapes of Wrath.

A student
assigned this book --
forever changed.






Recognized


a septolet is a poem in seven lines, fourteen words, two verses - the second verse completes the picture of the first.
Today is the 69th anniversary of the day John Steinbeck was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for his masterpiece, The Grapes of Wrath, a book that forever changed my life when I was a teenager in the 60's. When he died while I was in high school, I wrote an editorial for the school paper about his influence on my outlook on life and his influence on a couple generations of readers. Today, a couple more generations have learned about justice and compassion and the human spirit from his books. Few people wield more influence on the world than writers. This man helped shape my entire world view. Today, May 6,2009, there is a child who is finishing his book who will be forever changed. They say the test of a classic is if it stands the test of time. In our current economic crisis, The Grapes of Wrath is as fresh as the day it was written 70 years ago. If you somehow missed reading it, I would recommend it as highly as any book I know.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.