Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted April 26, 2009 Chapters: -1- 2... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a contemplative quatern

A chapter in the book Quaterns: Observations on Life

Skipping Stones

by adewpearl


I skipped a stone upon a stream,
meandering through mountain glen --
it skimmed the surface like a dream,
not once, not twice, not thrice, but ten.

The sun shone bright that splendid day
I skipped a stone upon a stream.
The water caught each shining ray
and sparkled with each brilliant beam.

You can't imagine how it gleamed,
that laughing water struck by light.
I skipped a stone upon a stream
that summer day when all seemed right.

On days when life goes racing by
and I am running out of steam,
I recollect that fine July
I skipped a stone upon a stream.





Recognized


In the past week Judian James and Alvin Ethington have both posted beautiful quaterns, and I became enchanted by the form.
This is my first quatern, which is a poem composed of four quatrains. The first line of the first quatrain becomes the second line of the second, then the third line of the third, and finally the last line of the fourth and final quatrain. While I have used the abab rhyme scheme, that is not required.
For those who like the trivia I dig up when researching poems, I found out the world record for skipping stones, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, is 51 skips, a feat accomplished by Russell Byars on July 19, 2007. This shattered the old record of 40 set in 2002. I think I've never managed more than 5 or 6 skips, but I've watched my son and his dad skip a stone over a dozen times.
When you do it right, it feels as if you've just won an Olympic medal.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.