Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted April 22, 2009 Chapters:  ...22 23 -24- 25... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a reflective cinquain - see author's notes

A chapter in the book cinquains

The Path to Enlightenment

by adewpearl



To ask
but not yet know --
this, the journey taken --
never certain we are not
mistaken.





Recognized


When Adelaide Crapsey first devised the cinquain, she wrote down no rules for the form. Over the years, others noticed that a majority of her fewer than thirty cinquains followed the pattern of 2/4/6/8/2 though several did not. From this observation somebody decided the 2/4/6/8/2 pattern should be a rule. (I suppose because people like things that are easily quantifiable) However, I believe, like Crapsey, that not all poetry works out each time to fit a rigidly set pattern. I have chosen to have my final lines in this poem read 7/3 instead of 8/2. It is a conscious choice, not an oversight in syllable counting. Below is just one of Crapsey's cinquains that break her own pattern - google her if you want to read all 28 of her cinquains to see others that break the pattern.
Fate Defied
As it
were tissue of silver
I'll wear, O fate, thy grey,
and go mistily radiant, clad
like the moon.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.