Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted April 9, 2009 Chapters:  ...23 24 -25- 26... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
reflective cinquain see author's notes

A chapter in the book cinquains

Humility

by adewpearl



Before
the empty tomb
with death left in defeat,
Christ knelt before His men to wash
their feet.




Recognized


This poem is written to commemorate Maundy Thursday, the day before the crucifixion. On this day Jesus and his disciples shared the last supper, which is now honored by the sacrament of holy communion. After the supper, Jesus insisted He wash the feet of his disciples, a dirty job usually done by the lowest of lowly servants. His men protested until He made it clear it WAS going to happen.
When Jesus was born, He was born in a lowly stable and worshipped by shepherds, then considered one of the lowest status jobs. Born in humility, He died in humility before rising to sit by God's side.
Jesus' washing of the feet is a ritual meant to remind us there is no act of compassion we can perform for our fellow man that is below us. The first commandment is to honor God. The second commandment is the Golden Rule. Maundy Thursday reminds us of that at least once a year.
"Maundy" derives from the Latin word Mandatum, commandment, or I command - for Jesus said when washing His disciples' feet - A new commandment I give unto you, that you love one another, as I have loved you."
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.