Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted April 4, 2009


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a reflective naani

Dinner in Darfur

by adewpearl

Contest Winner 


To feed her family,
a mother gathers fuel,
and prays she won't be raped --
life can be so cruel.





Contest Winner

Recognized


Over 2.5 million people have been displaced to refugee camps in the ongoing war in the Darfur region of western Sudan. Estimates ranging up to 500,000 deaths have occurred. In July of 2008, the International Criminal Court filed ten charges of war crimes against the President of Sudan, including the sanctioning of mass rape against refugee women and girls as young as four. Most of the rapes occur when women leave the camps to gather scarce firewood, which can require hikes of several hours to find.
Why don't the men gather the wood? Because they will be killed. Darfurstoves.org is a non-profit organization that provides refugee families with a stove that vastly increases fuel efficiency and decreases the need for wood gathering.
A naani is a poem in four lines with 20-25 syllables. This one is 25. They usually "depend upon human conditions and current statements."
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.