Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted March 15, 2009


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
reflective quatrains

Lent

by adewpearl



Some sacrifice for forty days
to honor Christ's ordeal,
believing loss of luxury
will help their spirits heal.

I do not ask they break their fast
or set aside their prayers;
I only ask they turn their thoughts
to those with greater cares,

who can't give up life's luxuries
for none to them belong.
Some do without for forty days --
some live Lent all year long.




Recognized


As a Christian, I observe the season of Lent from Ash Wednesday through holy week to Easter Sunday, the holiest day in the Christian calendar. Since I was a child, one of the biggest traditions of Lent has been to select some "extra" to give up in honor of Christ's sacrifice. The forty days especially signifies the 40 days he spent suffering in the wilderness when he was preparing for his ministry. Therefore, many Christians give up something. One year as a child I gave up ketchup, which I liberally poured over all my food. Many children give up candy. Today it would be typical for someone to give up his ipod or cell phone.

Unfortunately, many people in this world have no extras to give up in this symbolic way. They live on a subsistence diet, many without even a roof to call their own. I would simply ask that while we are giving something up, we honor a tradition practiced by some that we take that money we save and give it to those who have nothing. If you give up cigarettes, you contribute your cigarette money for those days to a homeless shelter or an organization that fights world hunger. This is not a time for mere symbolic gestures but a time to take positive action.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.