General Poetry posted March 14, 2009


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The reason of our abandon from Eden and Knowledge.

Durian, God's Send for Knowledge

by Mike K2

Contest Winner 
The snake hissed, "Eve! Try this Fruit!"
"No way!" Stated Eve, "It's sure not cute!"
"Don't you think, Adam needs to be able to think?"
Eve laughed, "It's too prickly and does it stink!"

She continued...
"But I have been thinking about trying The Tree Of Life."
The snake advised;
"Not that one, living forever with God's anger rife.
Adam will appreciate the knowledge that is put in him
and for being a man and passing the test of tasting Durian."

"Adam just loves to walk around here naked,
do you really think God considers that sacred?
God will be impressed that you two will know and care..."

Eve shot back, "I think for you, this is a dare."
"No, I tell you that knowledge is such a wonderful fruit."
"Uh Huh!" Eve wanted to know why it smelled like poop.
"He won't get it past his nose, before he's thrown for a loop!"

The snake said, "You're too smart for me to deceive.
But Adam, I think you; he better needs to perceive."
Eve giggled, "I know, this Durian will make a great joke!
It will be good fun, to see how far I can take that bloke!"

"Adam! I made a perfume from some Skunk Cabbage."
"Whew, Eve! We're in God's world and that smell is savage."
I found a good treat and I hope it cuts the mustard,
I added spice and honey, to this Durian custard."

"Oh Eve! You taste it; that flavor is much too strong!
"Oh! I'm afraid that I left it sit out too long."
The serpent sat with a quaint smile of no surprise,
while God thought, "Something is wrong, I surmise..."

God didn't buy that the fig leaf, was for sunburn relief;
angry and in total disbelief, "You ate Durian! Good Grief!"
Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden, were cast out; 
as the snake laughed until he realized, he could only crawl about.

In this world, now Adam and Eve would make their way,
forever wishing they ate more Fruit Of Knowledge that day.
For with his suspicious mind, he only put a finger in;
but with holding out hope to find some more Durian.




Contest Winner

Recognized


Photographic image is used from Wikipedia.com and taken by W.A. Djatmiko and is under a public user license. The image has been photo-shopped strictly for size considerations.

What made me think of this is with Christian Art of Adam and Eve, they very often use the apple tree to depict the Tree of Knowledge. I sort of joked what if the tree was actually a Durian. The Durian is an East Indian tree that grows in the orient as well. Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. In this country it is available for consumers and is considered a health food. If you watch, "Bizarre Foods, with Andrew Zimmerman." Then you have seen it as the bane of his existence. Despite all of the other crazy foods that man puts into his mouth, he can not stand this one, but what great fun to see him try.

You can read more about the Durian on Wikipedia and as you can see in the photo, it has a prickly skin. Because of that and the pungent oder, it is also referred to as,,"The king of fruits," as well. Arjuna, a member here also has written about it in her book "Stories Around My Life," chapter 35, "Durian- The King Of Fruits." She describes nicely how the fruit is used.

Cut and Paste into the browser:
http://www.fanstory.com/displaystory.jsp?id=222757

I am not making fun of the fruit as I will try everything at least once. Very often, many tastes are acquired. Texture and smell play a very important part in overall taste. Many people haven't tried raw oysters and very often it will take several tries before on can truly enjoy them. There is also a psychological effect. I tried my first preserved egg a few weeks ago, also known as a thousand year old egg. It never made it down. A preserved egg is actually cooked in a lye solution and the tough gelatin skin or odd appearance didn't bother me, nor the green yolk. It was when I started chewing and it got a fruity flavor that my brain said this wasn't right and I gagged. A fruit similar in effect grows in this country and is called the May Apple in the eastern woodlands. It has a skin that smells like bad cheese and when you bite into the fruit it was a somewhat gushy texture, but amazingly tastes like grape. My best friend told me, that fruit isn't right. We also had battles with the rotten ones and got in trouble from mom for smelling like stinky feet.

Skunk cabbage is another eastern woodland plant found in wet soil areas. It has a cabbage appearance, but smells like skunk. That too is edible, provide you boil it about eight to ten times and always outdoors.

Last, I am not intending to be irreverent over a Prophet or the Bible. In a sense, the ending is my creative imagination in perceive human nature behind the lines of verse. I bet there was a timmidity factor as they squeemishly partook of the fruit. I am sure that Adam was suspicious of Eve's reluctance, but didn't put two and two together. I felt that if we really ate from the fruit instead of sampling it, we would have been much better off in our exile. I bet the seeds is what contained the common sense and buffer for our passions.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.