Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted February 28, 2009


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Reflective Quatrains

Jack in the Pulpit

by adewpearl


Jack in the Pulpit, pray for the children,
those without homes, left out in the cold.
Pray for lost souls who have no solution,
people once proud, now lost from the fold.

Jack in the Pulpit, ask for God's solace,
comfort for women widowed by war.
Pray for the loveless, missing embraces,
people whose needs their neighbors ignore.

This, I implore you, preacher in woodland,
please intercede for those who are meek.
Give to the silent, strong and sure voices,
that they be heard when justice they seek.






Recognized


My father used to take me looking for May apples and Jacks in the pulpit along a stream in Valley Forge Park after church on Sundays in late April and May, when they bloom. They live in the shade and in moist areas and are not nearly as common as wildflowers like buttercups and violets - to find them is like finding a treasure.
Because we always took our expeditions on Sunday and because of this wildflower's name and rarity, I naturally always felt reverent about them. This poem springs from that feeling.

The cadence of this 10/9/10/9 poem follows the rhythm of the phrase Jack in the Pulpit - please do not try to impose an iambic meter on it while reading because that just won't work.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.