General Poetry posted February 10, 2009 Chapters: Prologue -1- 2... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Food is one thing that is great here!

A chapter in the book Dining Without, Tony

Baltimore Delights

by Mike K2

Not everything in Baltimore
is separate, nor is equal.
But that doesn't extend to
the acceptance of its people.

Created by waves of people
who here decided to locate.
A neighborhood here and there,
themselves and ways to reallocate.

I am told out of fear, to stay
out of the neighborhoods.
But there is the temptation of
hunger to find what is good.

A Ukrainian, German or Greek
church has it day and celebration.
Pushing ethnic activities and
foods for sampling and adoration.

From a Pow Wow, to an Oktoberfest
and spanning the globe in between.
There is always something to taste,
hear and entrainment to be seen.

Despite its majority, I haven't found
food that can be called, "Eating black."
African, Creole or Island influence,
just down home or with a little soul...
Tastes don't lack!

There is also fine dining and black
tie affairs; even food with flair.
Baltimore is a port town with seafood offerings;
all is excellent, with the price being fair.

One can go to gastronomic extremes with small
Oriental and Indian markets to try things at.
Or at the Lexington market, buy whole slabs
of bacon, clear eyed fish and even Muskrat.

But there is one place that holds a craving
like hankering that I just have to go.
Located in the area, known on Lombard Street
as the old, "Corned Beef Row."

Once lined with stores to serve the masses
that ate there in the Jewish Quarter.
There are only two that you can now go
to satisfy that hankering with an order.

The one that is special to me was established
in 1915 bearing time honored name of Attman's.
A trip there will have you coming back again.

Just walking in there and finding along its
length on both sides of the counter a line.
You'll be quick to find that the food is fine!

You'll feel lucky to get though the door with
smells hitting you like fine Japanese incense.
Making the sandwich in your mind before you
order with all of the various deli scents.

The hardest thing to do is to make up
your mind reading the various sandwiches.
A Corned Beef Reuben, or with the store's own
crafted Pastrami counterpart, the President!

Which?

They have the full compliments of
Jewish-style, New York Deli-fare.
You'll change your mind ten times over
before you go through that line there.

Homemade fixings including pickles and
sauerkraut, it is also an old time deli.
When the person behind the counter hollers,"Next!"
Better not dillydally!

As you squeeze past each other, that line
becomes as much a part of the atmosphere.
Someone in it recalls meeting a politician,
star or sports personality in there.

It's a place to shake off Baltimore's
gray weather or one's personal gloom.
You can try to take it out for later or
eat right there in their Kibbitz Room.

Hey, theirs is great, but I ain't
talking just any old chopped liver.
They also make a great variety of
party trays, that they deliver!





Photograph- Nov 2008, by Michael W. Kohlman. To be honest I love the fact that it was early in the morning and the line was small, as I could move around. But it quickly tripled in length in five minutes. Usually you start at the front, and there is an area where you have to get chummy to squeeze by and then you are going down the counters. There is always a nice conversation to listen to.

This is one of the hardest poems to create and I was starting to get mad at them. For everytime, I started to think about the lines, I thought about their food instead.

I spent good money to stock up on their product that should have lasted three days and despite the amount, it lasted one. I don't eat there regularly, but when I do, I love it. I feel the only way that I can gain reference in comparison is to make a trip to New York to Katz's.

Being Chezch, I believe that my love comes from my European, old world roots. I made reference to, "Black Cooking," and to be honest; the food my family brought here is very similar as Europe was in a depression more then the states. A lot of Southern style cooking came about as meat was too expensive and a luxury. More greens and starches, if there was meat it was the poorer cut and mixed in. Very often, man had to make due with what he could procure.

I intended this poem to be strictly about Attman's Delicatessen, but couldn't bear not to mention the great variety of food in Baltimore. I believe that this poem builds a very good perspective. These are the various scenes that include food and there is something always available that you can try. There are many other deli's that I like, but to be honest, I could make the sandwiches at home. The difference starts off with the deli's own preparation of the meat and many other parts such as making their own pickles and sauerkraut. They have their fish, Kosher chicken, salads including chopped liver and the fish stuffing know as Gefilte fish. All very good.

It is my understanding that was where the Jewish people lived and then migrated to another area outside the city. I inquired about the food there and was referred back to Corned Beef Row as still the best. I first learned of them as a Jewish client of my print shop would have their party trays delivered around Christmas. These were top notch. I only recently at an urging of a friend that worked in the city talked me into going. From time to time, I talk him with little arm twisting to go back.

I had to put in a couple of racial barbs as I believe that everyone is my equal until they prove otherwise. For me this attitude has really lended itself for my enjoyment. Notice I didn't say equal in all respects. Sometimes the differences, such as heritage, art and food can really be nice for a change of pace and appreciations. I enjoyed the aspects of being an explorer and it needn't be as complex as mountaineering. I encourage all to simply, look around!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.