Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted January 18, 2009 Chapters:  ...39 40 -41- 42... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Cinquain about Football's Deeper Meaning

A chapter in the book cinquains

On Being a Fan

by adewpearl



A game -
an afternoon
to cry, "Fly, Eagles, Fly."
No joblessness, no debt, no fear -
just pride.







Recognized


My Philadelphia Eagles play for the NFC Conference Championship today and a chance to play in the Superbowl. Philadelphia's city budget is suffering major cutbacks in programs and many people are unemployed - it is not a great time here as it is not in most places in the world today.
But today, excitement is in the air. Everyone is smiling and hopeful and filled with pride.

Ian Ayris has a novel appearing on FanStory right now that depicts the meaning of a soccer championship to down and out working class people in England during the 1970's. A major character who has been long out of work and suffering from depression is having the "best day of his life" by going to see his team play. His fictional characters decades ago in a place an ocean away from Philadelphia are experiencing exactly what those in my city are experiencing today - a chance to be part of something that transcends the everyday.

No matter how hard times get, to have a team to root for brings people together in hopefulness and community, in a spirit of common purpose and resolve. Some might argue sports are just a diversion from people's real lives, but I would argue they are a part of our culture and consciousness that enriches life just as poetry does.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.