Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted January 9, 2009 Chapters: -1- 2... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cinaquain inspired by a Norman Rockwell Painting

A chapter in the book The World of Art

Ruby Bridges, Grace under Fire

by adewpearl


She walks,
flanked by four guards,
too small in her white dress
to face so large a fight, and yet
she strides.




Recognized


In 1960, six year old Ruby Bridges was accompanied inside an all white elementary school in New Orleans by Federal Marshalls, assigned to protect her as she became the first African American child to attend an all white school in the South.

Norman Rockwell captured this scene in his painting, The Problem We All Have to Live With. Too much is going on to describe it all in a cinquain, so I have focused on the resoluteness of this tiny girl as she walked past jeering crowds. The painting depicts even more of the ugliness - a tomato thrown against the wall, the word "Nigger" scrawled on the wall directly behind her. And yet this tiny child in her little girl dress and anklets just keeps marching past it all. Her courage calls out to me each time I see this image. Please google it to get the full effect.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.