Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted January 7, 2009 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Cinquain inspired by Wyeth's Christina's World

A chapter in the book The World of Art

Girl with Polio

by adewpearl



Propped up
on spindly arms,
she keeps her focus fixed.
No distance daunts her journey up
the hill.




Recognized


Andrew Wyeth's Christina's World, painted in the 1940's, depicts his neighbor in Maine, Christina Olsen, crawling up a field of grass to reach her house. To me, this has always been such a portrait of dignity - the girl, seen from the back, seems so resolute. Nothing but her skinniest of arms hints at her crippling condition - her pose is not at all pathetic. She is simply looking straight ahead at her house on the hill as she slowly makes her way to it.

I live less than an hour from the Wyeth Museum and grew up with his beautiful art. Some more sophisticated critics relegate him to a minor role in art history as they claim he is too much like an illustrator than a fine artist, but others find much to appreciate in his "magic realism." I am among those who appreciate.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.