Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted January 6, 2009 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
cinquain inspired by Picasso's Guernica

A chapter in the book The World of Art

The Grieving Mother

by adewpearl



A scream
contorts her face.
Its agonizing sound
can pierce our souls but never wakes
her babe.




Recognized


In April of 1937, during the Spanish Civil War, German bombers, under Hitler's orders, bombed the Spanish village of Guernica, a Basque stronghold. Hitler, of course, sided with the conservative Nationalists. Many hundreds of civilians were slaughtered. Pablo Picasso painted the greatest anti-war canvas ever produced in response to this attack.

Guernica is a huge painting, all in black and white, almost 12 by 26 feet and depicts the dying moments of many figures - I doubt even an epic poem could describe all of it. I have chosen to focus on one figure, a mother holding her dead infant. This figure is on a button I bought in the 1960's that has as its caption - What about the children? From the 1950's until the early 80's, Guernica was displayed in the Museum of Modern Art in NYC, where in the 60's anti-war vigils were held. It is there I bought the pin that I still wear.

This cinquain is not intended to provide a full description of the painting or even of this one figure. It is meant to capture the spirit of Picasso's observation on the horrors of war.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.