General Poetry posted January 4, 2009


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
An interesting aspect of poetry.

Poet Laureate

by Mike K2

Write a nice poem for me!
Just the good,
not the bad, or that I see!

Maybe, a good poem would make.
About something that I like,
the Smith Island, seven layer cake!

"Cutting all of those layers
so the icing will fit in.
Being decadently rich,
how could I start to begin?"

How about honoring a famous person?
Off this author's head,
the "Tell Tale Heart" of Poe to work on.

"Working quietly at home,
he penned his works in the night.
To some's macabre delight,
for other's menacing fright."

Possibly, about a historic landmark.
Lighthouses, capital buildings,
or a house to stop at, a good start.

"A large beaconing mansion,
a secret basement borrow.
Above the town of Belair,
hid the Underground Railroad."

Perhaps an event will become history.
The poet pens it,
so it remains from becoming a mystery.

"Poet Laureate, a time
honored appointed position.
Penning tributes for the state,
its people; through transitions.

Keeping things noted, described;
language, descriptive and prose.
Called to remind, interpret;
when needed, the poems arose."






I believe that I met a Poet Laureate at one time. This was during the Fells point festival, where my mother discovered the painter Sir Reginald Watkins and he developed a love for her and offered her a chance to go into the studio and pick out a painting. Then at the horror of her liking one from his scrap pile, he locked Mom and Dad in that studio, insisting that she look at the rest first! She got the one that she wanted and that love disolved...

My grandmother was walking me around, so that I could meet this person or that. Well she grabbed me and said the woman was the Poet Laurette. I asked the lady what was it that and she, "I write poems for the State."

I replied, "Cool!," and ran off to explore further adventure.

Really not bothering with even so much as a thought. Until last week where I discovered an article in, "Urbanite Magazine," titled, "Versifier Wanted," by Marianne K. Amoss. The position was started in England around the 17th century to pen poems that commemorate royal occasions. Maryland has had the position since, 1959 and is considered a four year term that can be renewed at the present governor's digression. Michael Glaser is the current one and states that, "The modern state poet laureate is charged with being the official bearer of poetry in his territory... Each poet laureate can define his job's particulars, but the main duty remains to share and advocate for poetry." Part of that is writing verse and poems for official functions and at people's requests.

There have also been opportunities to hear talks of poetry by these people and for Maryland, many of the poet laureates have worked to preserve their poetry in book form and on CD as part of the, "Poetry's Here @ Your Public Library," program.

The position isn't widely known and though I knew of it, it didn't come readily into my mind, until a poet laureate of New Jersey penned the lines, in "Somebody Blew Up America." ("Who told the 4,000 Israeli workers at the Twin Towers / To Stay home that day." ) Asked if Glaser thought that was appropriate he used the words, "It's a hairy question." Personally he did not add politics to his official state poems. Usually poet laureates are nondescript and little known, except in writer's circles. In New Jersey, the governor couldn't fire the person from the post, so he abolished the position.

You would think that such a person of esteem has a salary that rivals Stephen King's, while many states have a payroll position, Maryland reimburses for travel expenses. The National poet laureate has one year terms that run approximate to the academic schedule.

What I fancy about poetry is the surprise that in addition to language skills; or more accurately in my book, the descriptive and conveying use of such; the other disciplines of such as journalism and history, play a role in it. I never believed that what I learned in Photography would play a part or even desires, such as painting could be realized in this writing form. My first few poems were heavily criticized and ended up in the trash can. My first copyrighted poem was actually a desperate (but successful) attempt at relaying the feelings that I got from cave exploration. The actual stories were convincing people that I was crazy. I found how it moved people about love, and (caused problems for me), how poetry was a form to convey adventures that most wouldn't want to be in, much less try. To me, it is not a written medium, but one with the imagery of painting, even bringing worlds to people that exist only in one's imagination.

There is a bit of a role in poetry for being a scribe. I have only written a few poems that honor people or businesses, but their appreciation is priceless. I see why the post exists.

I see another aspect of this position and required is the ability to stand outside one's frame of reference to write poems that are significant for the people. I have an easy example, "Obama." For president I want the best man for the job. Since I consider every one my equal until proven otherwise, it doesn't matter to me that he is the first black president. But to so many it does. I believe that the poet in this case has to also observer around him the significance of an event or person to all people and be able to relate not only to that, but that importance.

I also have to think of the term, "Poet." All who read me know what I call myself. I have heard people tell me they're a poet. That pretty much describes it. I much prefer, "I write poetry," as it lends itself to conversations such as, "What type?" It is nice to hear people express their joys though this dialog. Personally, I prefer, "Poetic writer." I have had so much fun with that one. Poet is something that I feel is best bestowed by other people and is an appealing debate after one's own death. Perhaps I am afraid of the parallels of sharing the actual lives and eccentricities of some of the more well known ones. What made me think of this is the movie fame, paraphrase the drama teacher, "There are 50,000 people that call themselves actors. Out of that, only five hundred people make enough money to call it a profession and most of them actually do commercials. The rest subsist on menial jobs or welfare." Basically, it isn't what you think. Maybe the poetic writer is more, the stunt-man. Hey! It fits!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.