Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted January 3, 2009 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a cinquain inspired by Michelangelo's statue

A chapter in the book The World of Art

Pieta

by adewpearl




Her eyes
gaze down upon
the form draped on her lap,
her son drained of his earthly life,
at peace.







Recognized


Michelangelo carved the Pieta around 1499. Before his most famous statue, other pietas, statues of Mary holding her crucified son, portrayed her as grief stricken and the body as gruesome. Michelangelo instead gave her a peaceful face and Jesus a magnificent body.

"If life pleases us, death being made by the hands of the same creator should not displease us," Michelangelo wrote.
If there is a more beautiful statue in the world, I am unaware of it. When in high school, I had the opportunity to visit Rome with my Latin club, and I saw this masterpiece in person. One never forgets seeing something like this. I assume most everyone will know this work, but if you need a reminder, google Michelangelo's Pieta.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.