General Poetry posted January 2, 2009 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Cinquain inspired by painting of Henri Rousseau

A chapter in the book The World of Art

Woman Walking in an Exotic Forest

by adewpearl



She glows
in yellow dress.
Blue daisies dwarf her frame.
Her ribbons match the orange of
tall trees.




Recognized


Since I was a child, I've received delight from the "naive" paintings of Henri Rousseau, a man who worked in the Paris customs house until he retired early to devote himself to his magical and mystical paintings. Many of these painting depict jungle and forest scenes, otherworldly.

In this painting from 1905, a woman in formal garden dress stands at the edge of a fantastical forest of gigantic orange trees and blue daisies that tower above her head. She does not seem to acknowledge at all that she is in an unusual setting, which adds to the whimsy of the scene.

This painting is on display at the Barnes Museum in my suburban county outside of Philadelphia. Others of Rousseau's paintings hang in major museums like the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC, and yet he is buried in a pauper's grave. Picasso and the avant garde were quick to acknowledge his influence and pay him homage. I just know his paintings always make me smile. To see the painting, just google Rousseau and the title.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.