Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted January 1, 2009 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A cinquain inspired by Picasso's painting

A chapter in the book The World of Art

The Old Guitarist

by adewpearl



He strums
strings taut and tuned,
to coax crestfallen cries
from deep inside this box where they've
lain trapped.




Recognized


If you google Picasso's Old Guitarist, the very first entry will quickly take you to a picture of this painting from Picasso's blue period of 1901-1904. I have mentioned this painting before in a memory poem about an encyclopedia my father gave me when I was nine that introduced me to it.

I first fell in love with and identified with it the year after my mother died - I knew this tragic old man, bent over his guitar, felt the same mourning loss I did. I am writing about it today because a fellow writer and I were talking about using art as inspiration for poetry this morning, which has motivated me to start a series of cinquains about art meaningful to me. Not just any art, but art that speaks to me and my experience. I hope it speaks to readers also.

Adelaide Crapsey, the originator of the cinquain, used titles as a significant "sixth line" in her poems, and this is written in that spirit.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.