Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted December 29, 2008 Chapters:  ...46 47 -48- 49... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cinquain in homage to Mark Twain's War Prayer

A chapter in the book cinquains

War Prayer

by adewpearl


For every soldier in harm's way

We pray
another's child
will die so ours might live,
but who do we believe will hear
such prayers?




Recognized


In 1904, late in his life, Mark Twain dictated a very short story called The War Prayer, which remained unpublished in his lifetime at his family's request. He wanted it published posthumously and got his wish when it was included in an anthology in 1923. You can easily Google it and find the full text on several sites.

Why did his family wish this unpublished when so much of what he wrote was controversial? This story is an anti-war statement prompted by the 1899-1902 Phillipines-American War, which Twain opposed. In it, a man walks into a church where people are praying for victory and safety for their soldiers, and he reminds them that the unstated flip side of their prayer is that the other side lose and their troops be obliterated.

My cinquain compresses his message into a few words and asks, Do we really believe God wants to leave widows and orphans on either side? Prayers in the last line is pronounced as one syllable.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.