Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted December 8, 2008


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Hester Prynne - the original liberated woman

The Scarlet Letter in A-Z Land

by adewpearl


please read author's notes

"A"
Adulteress -
Able.

Apparel brave -
bodice branded.

Beautiful
Brazen
Betrayed -
Battling bigotry.

Bastard child:
Consequences -
crimson character.

Conscience calls -
Contemplation,
Charity.

Despair?
Disgrace?
Dignity.
Elegance.

Embroidered emblem -
fantastic flourishes.

Frailty?
Forgiveness.

Forgotten God?
Guilty heart.

Heathenish hussy,
haughty.
Heroic Hester,
helpful.

Imprisonment.
Isolation.
Illumination.
Jailed -
Knowing.

Kind labors.

Lovers -
malefactress marked,
minister's misery.

Mercy needing.
Needlework outcast.

Passion -
Pearl.
Price paid?
Penance.

Puritan piety -
prejudice.

Pride
Pardon
Purity
Quietude
Remorseful recluse-
Repentant,
Revered.

Secrets scrutinized
Silent sinner
Shunned
Scorned
Shamed.

Scandal
Stigma
Solitude
Sorrow.

Seamstress stitches,
sewing strength.
Succoring strangers,
Standing tall.

Transgressor tender-
uncommon, unbowed.
Virtuous
Venerated.
Woman x-alted,
Yeomanly,
Yea,
Zenith.




Recognized


Most people associate Hester Prynne with high school literature tests and boring English teachers rather than remembering her as a liberated woman centuries before her time. This is a shame.

Hawthorned introduces The Scarlet Letter as a "tale of human frailty and sorrow," and for Hester's lover, the Reverend Mr. Dimmesdale, that is how the story ends. But Hester moves beyond frailty and sorrow as she transforms her life from one of exclusion and shame to one of community service and admiration.

When Hester is first introduced, she is placed on display on the Puritan town's scaffold. After her adultery, she is ordered to wear a letter "A" on her bodice so all will remember and judge her for her adultery. But even in the opening scene she stands before the scornful crowd with quiet dignity, her babe in her arms. She was not required to embroider her letter "A" in such a large, bold design; this she chose.

As the years go by, the Reverend Dimmesdale, who has never owned up to being the baby Pearl's father, grows weak and ill. Hester, on the other hand, proudly bears her letter and performs daily acts of charity that gain the grudging admiration of the entire community. Where once her "A" stood for adultery, folks start saying it now stands for "Able." Her story becomes legendary and her position in the community secured. Her life is devoted to her child and to her acts of kindness and her work as a noted seamstress. Dimmesdale eventually dies of shame and guilt, but Hester carries on, never allowing despair to rule her life or shape her identity.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.