Biographical Poetry posted November 24, 2008


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
reflections on a box of baby clothes

The Memory Box

by adewpearl

Contest Winner 

For MIranda and her Dad


His hand-knit booties are white with blue trim.
I hear giggles stored in their fine-knit toes.
How much did they tickle when slipped onto him
to keep his feet warm from harsh winter snows?

Snug corduroy cap with embroidered lamb
would have been worn when the baby was strolled.
I think of him sleeping inside his pram
and feel every gust of that season's cold.

In the softness of sweater's knit and purl,
I see his toothless and innocent smile.
Such baby-fine wool makes my senses swirl
as sight and touch blend, blur and beguile.

I smell his sweet breath in the silken blues
of his clothes so carefully packed away.
I feel so much love in their muted hues,
his life before ours on tender display.

This small box of treasures, recently found,
will pass to our daughter, a precious keepsake,
so she can preserve each sight, smell and sound
that swirl in the dance these memories make.






Contest Winner

Recognized


My ex-husband died four years ago at Christmas time. My daughter and I were offered a few opportunities to go into his mother's house to retrieve his things, but much remained after his mother's death two years ago and then after his sister's very recent passing. Last week I had one last chance to take what I could find that belonged to him before the family's belongings were taken away to be auctioned by his sister's estate.

My daughter, who now lives in California, gave me a list of things to look for, and I had my own list of things to search. One of the most precious finds that neither of us even knew existed turned out to be a small box labeled Roger, that contained several items of his baby clothing. Miranda will get to see these treasures when she comes to visit at Christmas. In the meantime, they are mine to guard.
Divorcing a man does not always mean one no longer loves him. Holding these baby clothes worn by this man during the first winter of his life could not be more meaningful to me.
I thank my young friend, Oli, one of the most talented
writers in our community, for sponsoring this lovely contest and motivating me to write this poem.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.