Biographical Poetry posted November 19, 2008


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
For many every day is labor day

Labor Day

by adewpearl


A modern sonnet for Daddy, always

At five o'clock he'd walk through the door,
but he would not linger to say hello.
Before we could hug there was one thing more
he did every night all those years ago.

He filled the tub with water so hot,
one could write on the mirror coated with steam.
No lobster ever more red in the pot
than his skin when he scrubbed himself clean.

His hands were skilled and his arms most strong -
he used them all day to provide for me.
But after he'd toiled so hard and so long,
the grime on his hands I was not to see.

This same image always forms in my mind
when I'm asked how devotion is defined.




Recognized


My father was a steamfitter who rose from laborer to foreman to estimator to the construction company owner's right hand man. For many years before attained this oversight position, he worked in the field and came home filthy dirty every night.
Since it was just he and I after my mother died, we would eat out at one of several local restaurants for dinner, but not until he had washed off every last spot of dirt and changed into a white shirt.
Years later, more than a decade after he died, I worked with my church to build a house for Habitat for Humanity. I had no laboring skills as my father made sure I went to college and did not have to work with my hands in the elements as he did. But I was a willing learner and soon was hammering and power drilling and painting my heart out.
For the first time in my white collar life, when I bathed, the water turned dirty! I cannot tell you how much it meant to me to see that dirty water and know I was building something substantial just as Daddy had done all his life.
I so wished he was alive the day of the House's dedication so I could show him the results of my hard labor. He would have been as proud of that, I'm sure, as he was of my college degrees. I know I was.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.