General Poetry posted November 12, 2008 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
[Poem] A crazy, interesting morning diversion.

A chapter in the book Performance Problems -Production

98ROCKs with Beer and Bacon Too!

by Mike K2

Naysayers said the 98ROCK's
Morning Show isn't going to last.
But even those people, kept tuning in;
two successful years now have passed.

Now all are signed up again for
a contract for three more years.
The hate-mailing critics aren't hid,
they're part of a bit, everyone hears.

Mickey is calm, cool and collected;
Amelia is lady like and submissive.
Josh never dares interject himself;
to Scott the producer, everything's fine.

But that might last for just a minute;
usually everyone's really getting in it.

Scott yells, "Hey! It's traffic's time,"
Josh interrupts, knocking something off the shelf.
Amelia throws in, with a crazy missive
and Mickey rails about a bit being rejected.

The Morning Show, a dysfunctional family;
but the love comes through for all to see.

Caught live with an event, "Beer and Bacon;"
a special 98ROCK society gathered together,
to see the successfull show in the makin'.
This strange morning concoction is to savor,
Mickey, Amelia, Spiegel, beer and bacon;
a delightful change, having plenty of flavor.

To the Barn! As they are the customery host;
I enjoy the Christmas edition B&B the most!
I'll even take a swing around the North Pole,
my congratulations to them, I will extol!





Photograph taken, November 14 by Michael W. Kohlman at the last Beer and Bacon Event. The next one will be held at The Barn, located in Parkville (On Harford Road by Joppa.) The date is December 19, 2008 starting 6:00am. In this case, Produce Scott is not here due to vacation, filling in is Producer Christoff.

In the photograph, Mickey is center, Amelia is to the left and Josh Spiegel is to the right behind Christoff.

Swinging around the North Pole- At the event, for the last two years, they have had a company, Xpose Fitness set up a stripper pole. It is refered to as the Stripper Noth Pole. Yes, Santa is there. The first year Mickey, who is 5 foot, 4 inches; a bit chubby and sort of grabbed it, then slid down and sort of grabbed it. He slid down and sort of rolled around it. A sight for sore eyes as he was in his briefs. After he was done he informed me, "Hey! You're up next, I think you can do something with it!" A soon as I was up on deck, the girls saw what I was planning to do and grabbed me and stopped the bit, pleading with me that the pole wasn't stable enough for it. I hope to see them there and will advise them to attach it to the ceiling. I am for parity in cheap thrills. Women deserve a surprise as well.

The previous morning show was an Icon and the members actually convinced Mickey that he could be on radio as well. He has an interesting story that I plan to share with everybody here, fairly soon. He pretty much has had to bring himself up and is also a comedian and business man. Making the show interesting with his entrapenual and free thinking spirit. Also, having to be tempered by management. He is a celebraty, but loves to be available to his fans. This is balanced as he doesn't have a lot of time to give an individual, but always let people know how to get to know how to stay in touch. He is appreciative and down to earth.

Amelia, is a long person working with radio. Very straight laced, to the point and is the balance for the show. With radio, we think of the celebraties, but for most part, being on air is a sacrifice as it tends not to pay much and has its sacrifices. I find her uncomfortable with having to big a deal made about her and I say, "God bless!"

Josh Spiegel is the news and comentator and his career is in that area, both TV news and radio. He never let's his department (basically him) be overlooked as he finds a way to chime in and get some attention. In a sense, Mickey pushed him from the strictly news to sharing in the personality business. I remember the first time that I complemented him, it backed him against the rail and put his head down; mind you a tall, stout person, as he took this shy and bashful tone. A problematic person with bouts of weirdness and ever lamenting; just about cursing at his success. Despite his shy trepidation and awkward avoidance, he is the Guinness World Record holder for the most hugs that was held at last year's Polar Bear Plunge that benefited The Special Olympics. It must have been torture for him.

Scott the producer... Ever agitated, trying to keep the show rolling and from spinning off the platen. (record term). The man caught between management, the personalities and the fans. One of which formed a band called, "Reardon's End" and on the air got Scott's likeness tattooed on him with cross-hairs around it.

All of the personalities lives are mentioned on the air and one gains a relationship and feeling of identifying with them. They are all a great bunch.

98ROCK is part of the Hearst Broadcasting network and the complex also sports WBAL Radio and Television. With the rock station, it is a rarity in the business that they have evolved, not changed format. They were the identifying icon when I was a teenager and now that I am an adult, I enjoy looking at that business aspect a bit.

98ROCK (Baltimore) has a website available on the Internet and can be listened to by going on-line. The Morning Show can be heard 6:00am - 10:00am Eastern Standard Time.

Beer and Bacons are a special live broadcast. Regrettably, this is one of the few events that I can attend and enjoy. This years are Friday, November 14th at Looney's bar in Canton and Friday, December 19th at the Barn in Parkville. A much easier walk for me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.