Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted November 6, 2008


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
What answers do the stars reveal?

Stargazer

by adewpearl


To all who have ever dreamed

In the Cleveland Museum of Art stands a small white stone statue, no taller than three inches, of a woman with her head held back as if she is staring into the sky. It is the oldest representation of the human form in their collection and has been labeled by the curator, "The Stargazer."

Ancient stargazer, eyes raised and fixed fast,
searching skies in still and stony silence
for timeless answers as centuries pass
among the vastness of the firmaments -
as the stars meander across your view,
to your infinite patience do they yield
some wondrous wisdom known only to you,
some hidden knowledge to us not revealed?

Have your eyes the ages' secrets captured?
Is that omniscience in your steady gaze?
Or are you by twinkling light enraptured
as heavenly candles most beauteously blaze?
If beauty be truth as the poets claim,
is it truth you've beheld in each flickering flame?




Recognized


This ancient woman makes me think that today I watch the stars from Pennsylvania as my Fan Story friends watch them from Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, England and Spain. And as we all watch them today, so did the ancient Egyptians and the Wise Men who came to Jesus, and Civil War soldiers, and my Norwegian great grandparents. And we all wonder the same things as we gaze.
Google Cleveland Museum of Art the Stargazer and you can easily find a picture of this primitive, 5000 year old statue.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.