General Poetry posted October 24, 2008


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A thought about voting reasons!

The Liniment of Change

by Mike K2

It's time
for a change!
I vote to
alleviate
our pain!

A new
prescription
for peace!

Economic
salve to
ease our
suffering!

Soothing
relief for
our social
schisms.

A concoction
for injustice
for corporations.

But this pain
relieving
liniment,
only masks the
the perception
of the injury.

By using that
pain reflex
to disguise that
woe caused to
thee.

Next thing you
know, overconfidence,
made the actual
damage gain in
dominance.

Change for
changes sake;
isn't necessarily
the best for
one's future
stake.





This was inspired by the last Maryland election for governor. We had our first Republican governor after about fifty years and to me he was uncommon and provided a real good change in direction with policies. He was also straight forward, honest and timely in both his research and with responses. This is the only time I actually had the thought, "He did the very best he could!"

I did have something to make me consider not voting for him. My father worked with Juvenile Justice for twenty-five years and actually had a chance to talk to him with what he thought needed to be done with that agency. My dad threw his total support behind him, even with the realization that the governor wouldn't do any of them, but actually went in the very liberal direction with his choice of cabinet head.

My father wanted me, as he was dying, to pick up his mantle of a Juvenile Justice issue. With a family, I had neither the time or the resources and that issue in it's entirety came to me. Drugs, threats and acts of violence and the sheer incompetence of the system; not only the agency itself, but the police, social workers and the courts. My juvenile problems were solved with a Bowie in one hand and a tomahawk in the other about 1:00 in the morning facing a car load of boys, with my father's words about selling the guns I inherited. Believe me, the movie Patriot is something interesting to use for discussion of responsibilities and principles. Not having to live through the scenes...

Oh, what happened with the boys and threats. After a few almost encounters, word got out that I was crazy, not afraid of jail and didn't care that they were kids, as anyone with the guts to stand up to me will be treated like a man. Many were also girls that thought they could get away with it!

I made the decision to vote to reelect the governor, as my far ranging thoughts added up to, "It's still the best for the future."

He lost but what upset me was the reasons for the other person. The most common were, "I'm voting against Bush's war." That is national, not local. "He's cuter." Or the infamous, "I'm voting for change!" What after fifty years, four years is too much?


The new guy was elected and most people regret it. He also was, "going to tax only the rich." They taxed everybody and the little I got charged, is keeping me in an economic hardship, as I have absolutely no fat to use to catch myself up. The recession occurred anyway, despite his good looks and biceps.

In this presidential election, I have taken the hardest look that I could at both opponents and made my decision. In my case, McCain as I honestly feel he is the better of the two men for me and our future. I feel that Bush failed the most in not using his office to hold morally accountable and wage opinions on ethics and practices. But being a business man and the corporations not breaking laws, felt that nothing needn't to be said. Taxing them has been mentioned, but in these economic times, I question that. Changing the policies to make more difficult business could have dire results that will eventually be felt. Personally, maybe my rich bosses will decide that they are better off selling the business and then to make matters worse, I become unemployed and loose my house. It's close! But I am hanging on.

Change for changes sake,
isn't necessarily the
best for one's
future stake.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.