Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted October 21, 2008


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
What do the dead have to tell us?

Cemetery Voices

by adewpearl


"Remember me as you pass by," it warns,
this silent voice, so somber and austere,
and I do listen to its words forlorn,
chiseled in granite for my soul to hear.

Another grave of children soon cries out,
"From death's arrest no age is free."
Their tender ages leave no doubt
that life any moment can cease to be.

I stop to pause and read these ageless stones,
their stories they've called out to me,
and realize I stand not here alone
but with tenants of eternity.

Some day my place will I among them take -
Perhaps my peace with God I soon should make.




Recognized


Since my mother died when I was small, I have been a lover of cemeteries. The two quoted lines in this poem come from actual gravestones, both in New England. The first quote is a variant of a poem that I've read on stones from New England to Boot Hill in Tombstone. A standard version goes like this: "Remember me as you pass by/ For as you are so once was I/ And as I am you soon will be/ Remember me." There are dozens of variants. The quote from the stone of a family of children, all felled in tender years, is again, quite common as old cemeteries contain many children felled in infancy or very tender years.
This poem, a modern sonnet, defined as one that only loosely follows sonnet form, is my homage to the Remember me poem, as in the final couplet, my narrator concludes what that poem warns people they should be doing - contemplating their own mortality and what that means.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.