Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted October 19, 2008


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Philosphical ponderings in the land of A-Z.

The Ibis

by adewpearl


What mysteries lie in creation?

Ancient bird -
celebrated, deified.
Egypt's feathered god.

Hallowed.

Imagine imperial immortality.
Just know life.

Mummified nester.

Orpheus plays quietly,
reverently,
sacredly.
Timeless tunes.

Underworld -
Utopia?
Vacuum?

Willowy wisebird,
we x-hort you.
Yield your Zen.




Recognized


The ibis was a sacred, venerated bird to ancient Egyptians.
Many were bred for the sole purpose of being sacrificed, mummified, and buried by the thousands in tombs of imperial rulers. Orpheus was a Greek god, one of few gods or mortals to return to the world of the living after visiting the underworld. I realize they are from two different cultures, but part of his legend is that he visited Egypt and studied its culture and gods. Both the ibis and Orpheus were sent to the world of the dead, were witnesses to the afterlife. Both are mysterious, musical, bound across time and culture to greater questions we still ask today. What did Orpheus and the ibis find in their time in the underworld? Was it a utopia? a vacuum? In the end, all we can do is ask when we know no answer will be received. And yes, I know Zen brings in yet a third world religion. They all ask the same questions. All seek the same knowledge, so please excuse the poetic license I have used to extend the world of the ibis beyond ancient Egypt. As a Christian, I post on a Sunday, because on this day above all, I ponder the meaning of life just as the ancients once did.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.