Biographical Poetry posted October 17, 2008


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The story of how I came to be.

Solveig's Daughter: A Romance

by adewpearl


How many coincidences go into creating one life?

Just what was it about Alette
that attracted Wilhelm's eye
on the shores of the cold North Sea
beneath the Norwegian sky?

He left his life as a seaman
to farm on her father's land,
laid a stone fence on their border
with a strong and steady hand.

She bore him beautiful daughters,
she bore him three handsome sons,
ten children raised on a hilltop
of an isle overlooking islands.

How did Thorvald of Arendal,
a town of some miles away,
find Sophie, their sweet third daughter,
in her home by Storvagen Bay?

Did they walk along the footpath
that led from her farm to town?
What made them pledge to each other
their lives were forever bound?

If Thorvald had not found Sophie,
had Alette not caught Wilhelm's eye,
Sophie would not have borne Solveig,
and alas, there would not be I.




Recognized


Alette and Wilhelm were one set of my great grandparents in Norway. This story is true, taken from my family's history, and the farm they lived on is still there where my cousin Phil visited about a decade ago. Sophie, one of their ten daughters, is my mother's mother, who died before I was born. Thorvald, my Grandpa, married her and then came to America at the turn of the century to have six children with her in Brooklyn. What if Grandpa Nelsen had not visited her village the day they met? What if she had been somewhere else the day he visited? What if Wilhelm, so long ago, had not wanted to give up his life as a seaman to marry Alette? What if Alette had set her eyes on another young man? These are just a couple of the thousands and thousands of things that had to come into place before my mother, Solveig, even met my father. My father was in a naval hospital at Coney Island after WWII when Solveig went to the shore one day. How likely is it they should have met, a sailor from Pennsylvania and a young secretary from Long Island? And that chapter of my life is after this poem ends. Had one little meeting of two people centuries ago gone differently, I would not be here. The romances of so many people so distant from me, people whose names I don't even know, all went into my creation. Their stories are my story. This little poem is my love song to them.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.