Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted September 23, 2008


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Just what does trigger memories?

Small Gifts

by adewpearl


For everyone who has shared a memory with me.

Pears carefully wrapped in newspaper pages,
picked from the backyard, laid away.
Placed in the attic for future pleasure,
a taste of summer on winter's day.

Cinnamon sugar wrapped in pie crust,
the leftover dough never tossed away,
but baked instead into tiny treasures -
their lingering fragrance, a sweet sachet.

Who knows what triggers a memory,
or why small delights take hold and stay.
I look back and take life's measure
not by the grand but the everyday.



Recognized


So many writers draw upon memories for their beautiful works, and I love to read them all. So many kind readers who have read some of my memories have been gracious enough to share similar memories with me in their reviews. And what strikes me most is that so few of those memories are about huge, life-changing moments. Most are about rocking on the porch and listening to crickets or sitting in the kitchen and watching robins outside the window.
My first memory in this poem is of the pears we picked from our two backyard pear trees and then wrapped in pages of the Philadelphia Evening Bulletin to save for winter. They were then stored in our cool attic. The second memory is one of the few I have of my mother, who always crafted leftover pie crust into cinnamony delights for me to snack on when baking was done. And, of course, I was allowed to help. Such little things, but such large memories.
Makes one wonder if it really is all that important if you ever get that dream trip to Paris or go bungee jumping off some cliff in the Amazon. :-)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.