General Poetry posted September 6, 2008


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Those that forget are doomed, but can't help it!

Paternoster in Life

by Mike K2

~~~Playbill~~~

Me! An actor on a desolate
and empty stage, a job lost.
The production ran its course,
well seen, no longer covers cost.

My props and costume, to my fans
has for the highest price, been sold.
My only light comes from a hole in the
ceiling; shut down, the stage now cold.

~~~Play Fair~~~~

I leave for my hotel room, entering
the Paternoster, now stuck to its floor.
My slipped bootstrap, comes undone
affixing me to it, I do implore!

If I was a kid, I'd stay here all day,
for it would make for one a grand game.
But unable to move enough to fix the
strap, for an adult, it isn't the same.

On each floor was a different
woman who once had thoughts for me.
All one needed to do was as a
friend, to reach out for thee.

Not many women have turned my head,
this endless trip shouldn't be long!
But the next set of floors had the same
women, just another line of their thought...

How could anyone remain calm!

I will have to stay in this tower,
endlessly passing the hours... ...

At the top across the hall, God
stood with a smile and pointing down,
knowing that I wouldn't dare
try to jump up into his gears.
In the basement, holding out his
hand was the devil, but I had
second thoughts as the heat from
the boiler, made me feel the sear.

Back to the women, I hope one
would put out their hand.
But for various reasons, I
believed one would never land.

I knew eventually the Paternoster,
that infernal device would break down.
I would free myself and walk back outside
as another role for me had been found.




Recognized


Photograph of Paternoster. Taken from the Wikipedia article on Paternosters and released as public domain, by ProhibitOnions. It has been Photoshop modified for exposure and image size only, by MikeK2. This particular paternoster was used in a building belonging to the NormanenstraBe campus of the East German Stasi, later used by the Arbeitsamt and in use until, 2004.

A Paternoster is basically a one person elevator, that operates in a continuous fashion more like an escalator. Architecturally, its use was short lived, due to a lack of foresight, most likely human nature as the top was open and exposed to its gears and chain. People got caught up in them and even died. Hence losing consideration for its use.

What made me think of this poem is the fact that my life has been ver much like this. It is the man that is supposed to impress, but in the end, it is actually the woman that allows this partnership to happen. Now add in a woman who takes everything that she could and runs away with it, how can you impress any one after that with nothing? You only have your best to give and your hope to lead you. Ahhh, but it still takes two to make it work. It also requires their best as well.

What can drive a male nuts are the seemingly endless issues, thoughts and reasons that women seem to develop. I have lost trusted and scared friendships suddenly, as they felt that things went too fast or crossed some line, then when these are worked out, another set replaces them. Ironically the reasons that lead me to think of a sucessful relationship with them, are the same that convince them that it wouldn't! You both could laugh about it, if they would talk. Even if that relation is a simple friendship, it gets sacrificed. So that good memories are destroyed if you let them. though it was shown through an independent network, the fifth year was canceled. I give Ted Turner as TNT was the production company the credit for putting that last season out, on cable Well I refuse and if I have to be freeze dried and mothballed at Johns Hopkins upon my death; only my good memories will survive to share with God. I am not making this as a beef, but a simple observation that I wanted to humorously state.

I like using the actor, so many times we all have to be. Except what my parents, grandparents and their friends have said, I do not do acting. I think it would be a blast, but don't want to suffer in attaining that status, I have to be discovered and invited. However, I have been the spectre hiding in the stage works, silently observing. With any role, it involves studying, developing it, testing it out and then presenting the perfected character out to a willing audience and hope that they stay for the reception. Ahhh! Such is a good life.

From a television production standpoint, I feel that Star Trek, The Next Generation is the absolute best. My reason, everything! But my most favored is, Babylon 5. It's intricate maze-work of plots, the character and sets all have a lot of heart put into them. It shows. Originally it was supposed to be a five year series run, but television (despite its low number of viewers at that time) to continue it to its finality. It was many, many years before I watched the fifth season as I didn't have cable television until recently. I proudly purchased all episodes that are out on DVD. I wanted to share part of this one with you.

Babylon 5; second season; episode 21 - Comes the Inquisitor

Delenn- A Mimbari ambassador who was secretly a member of that races Grey Council who serves at her own request and believe that is where her destiny lies [Based on prophesy]. At the conclusion of the first years episodes she converts in a cocoon into a person appearing cross between a Mimbari and a human.

Capt. John Sheridan- Coming in at Season 2, he is now the person in charge of Babylon five, feeling the he has universe's problems upon his shoulders. He does! Little by little, this becomes apparent.

Vorlon- In my opinion an alien that plays a very limited role on the station. Essentially if seen, he is in a dumb looking encounter suite, one time stating that if he is seen, he will be recognized, by everybody. Not much is known about Vorlons, but they are very God-like in nature.

The Inquisitor- [Sebastian from 18th century earth]- He is brought from the Vorlon home world to test Delenn's allegiance to Kosh, the Vorlon on Babylon 5.

Delenn is painfully tortured in a test of allegiance and only needs to fail the test by taking off the pain producing manacles or answering the very simple question posed by her inquisitor successfully. Or die trying. Near death, Capt. Sheridan intervenes and is himself tortured. The answer comes out and both find out that they have passed the test.

The Inquisitor states, to Capt. Sheridan and Delenn who are holding each other.

"You can go. You have passed, both of you... How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love have a man, then to lay down his life for his brother. Not of millions, not for glory, not for fame; but for one person in the dark. Where no one will ever know or see. I have been in the service of the Vorlons for centuries looking for you. Diogenes, with his lamp looking for an honest person willing to die for all of the wrong reasons. At last my job is finished, but yours has just beginning. When the darkness comes, know this; you are the right people, in the right place, at the right time..."
[Sebastian walks away] The Captain is suspicious of him and in a later scene he indicates that his caused great harm, in doing what he felt was right and the Vorlons took custody of him and back to their home world where he was made to understand the error of his ways and pressed into their service, using his ways to test allegiances. Now that he found the two, he hoped the Vorlons would let him live his life out so that he could die. His name is Jack (The Ripper).

Today I thought about wedding vows, "Till death, do you part." Maybe I should rewrite my next to, "For this person, towards death, do you depart?" The right one, yes! I have decided to remain in my Paternoster and wait for that hand to reach out and physically pull me out.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.