Romance Poetry posted June 1, 2008


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
When loves finds the other.

New Lace Symphony

by Mike K2

It starts off with
two lonely threads.
A twist of love;
they entwine instead.


Never fully penetrating,
life's needles enter in.
Stopped by a heavenly pillow,
joy is found; love can begin.

They bring their own bobbins;
aspects of their being, beliefs
and personality.
Their pains, aspirations, sorrows,
joys and longing for each other
says that the weaving can begin.

Those fears, doubts and avoidances
are broken up by the beautiful ground.
The lace work filters and breaks
these up, providing gentle support
that is sound.

Their flirting forms the half
stitches, honeycombs, lazy joins and twists.
Caught up in their creations of dinners,
duets and garden filled mists.

Left on their own, they would spin
out in some corner; a dust filled cobweb.
But God sees the feelings for each
other and like the old lace maker,
weaves it with love instead.

Too caught up to see the
big picture, they weave and bob
throughout each other's lives.
Filigrees, Bucks fans, crowns,
star bursts and hearts, add to
the lace their beautiful splice.

Well-grounded, adorned and woven,
still they fear the end.
But the threads twist around that
needle, forming a picot; so as to
continue weaving with each other again.

This masterpiece will never be done
because with the thoughts of me
to you and you to me;
we will make the perfect lace that
produces the loving sound of the
New Lace Symphony!



Recognized


The photograph came from the Wikipedia article, "Lace" and is released as public domain and was taken by Pacaro. It was formated to fit the poem and colored by Michael Kohlman to better represent the aspects of the poem.

Wikipedia also has a wonderful gallery of various types of lace. Also under their external links, is an click on titled, "The Craft of Bobbin Making," by Stuart King. On his home page there is a picture of an elderly woman making lace that inspired me to include God in this poem. His site also comments on the history of lace making and how it pertains to people livelihoods.

I would like to thank the, "make-lace-with-us.com," website for being complete enough to supply all of the research for this poem.

Lace is made by weaving thread that is wrapped on bobbins that follows a pattern laid out by pins. "half stitches,honeycombs, lazy joins and twists," are examples of stitching and joining used in making lace. While the picot is a type of loop, giving a lacy edge. "Bucks fans, crowns and hearts are examples of designs and edgings. I added star bursts and filigrees as I have also seen them in some examples or it is the overall appearance of a finished lace.

The web site is far more then reading, they have graphics that demonstrate various treatments and also a very nice photographs of various laces and design elements.

This is one of the poems that a fool writes because he wants to reward a love with a beautiful piece. But in the progress it strike the author with a much deeper awe and even brings back beautiful memories. My mother was an artist who occasional did watercolors, played the piano and also loved doing crafts that she sold at the Woman's Exchange in Baltimore. She did this out of love, more than money and a few people did track her down to thank her for making something so beautiful, inexpensive enough to purchase for their enjoyment. She did a few things geared to the more wealthy, but was agitated at them being demanding. One of the things she loved to produce is needle point lace. But she hated when us distractive kids messed her up! Love her!

Related poems:

"When Dust Speaks" - The reward to let a person know that their love of this poem is a beautiful thing, but that the suite is no longer good enough.
http://www.fanstory.com/displaystory.jsp?id=211144

"Lace Wrapped Suite"
http://www.fanstory.com/displaystory.jsp?id=191097
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.