General Poetry posted February 12, 2008 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The finest part of youthful enjoyment.

A chapter in the book Going In Through The Out-The Doors

The Rope Swing

by Mike K2

It was those hot and humid days;
on toiling adults, the sweat laid.
But the children left for relief,
just a few hundred steps from
suburbia to a rural retreat.

At the local park, its hills,
tree houses and hollow log cannons
were protected by far.
Proudly encompassing possession
and fought over by wars.

But there was one item put up
and cut down in the park,
over which we never did shout.
Either over the water or on a hill;
when a rope swing hung about.

The rope swing on the hill, was
for developing a manly skill,
the swing yielded to the new
comers that were boys to see
how good they could play,
"Knife Game!"

The girls were encouraged to
just take a swing out, to
boys delight with screams
and squeals, they enjoyed
the ride just the same.

Taking a rest, I settled talking
to a girl that had life figured
out, she was absolutely the best.
And when she told me she thought
I was too, I knew to meet her
I must have been blessed.

Then there was the one over the creek,
every kid constantly pitched in
to help make it deep.

Boys and girls alike would swing off
into the water until frozen and blue.
Continuing this adventure, until the
dinner curfew called, and leave only
when we absolutely had to.

Many adults just had to stop by
just to try their hand.
Commenting that we were such a
nicely gathered band.

This is one of those rare instances
of bickering groups of kids
became a community.
Keeping those wonderful memories locked
within ourselves for posterity.




Judianjames conjured up this memory with her story, "Ampersand and Poodle" chapter 3, "The Tree House." This recollect brought back a book full of memories. Tree houses were put up and protected by the older boys who also stole our supplies for putting up one of our own. Likewise, hills were claimed and my friends and myself had grosses of M-80 firecrackers and also enjoyed making ones, at least half of the community then called it Double Rock Proving Grounds instead of park. Everything was fought over. One time we were exploring and a group from neighboring Overlea resented us being on the hill and creamed us with their BB guns. We ran alright, but home to grab a sling shot and fill our pockets with M-80s. A person that done blasting taught us how to properly prepare safety fuses because he feared us blowing up our hands. We were back on the hill and the patrolling Overlea people were back walking the trails. We let out a, "F-you!" and they started shooting, this time for keeps. We launched ten M-80s before they fell around them and chased them through the woods with about ten more. This hill, known as, "Suicide Hill," was retaken. Nobody messed with us and our cannons which was loaded with a M-80 in a bottle.

But a rope swing was a different matter and us routy kids, settled into a polite society, just to see how good the other boys were.

Knife Game was a game played on a rope swing set on a hill. The first person would go out with a sheath knife in their teeth. Upon coming back he would place it in the hill at the highest possible spot. The goal was for the next person to grab it while coming back and place it higher. I developed a method of flipping my body with earned me the comments of, "Crazy" or "God Damn!" This lasted unit one day I went out and saw the swing go above me, then I looked back and saw the looks on the other boys face; they were laughing or just had their mouths open. Everything happened so I had every detail registered until I impacted the ground thirty feet later. Being who I was, my crumpled body dusted off the dirt and I laughingly said, "Oops, I screwed up." It didn't hurt until later that night and the next two weeks.

We loved it because it attracted the attention of the girls. I guess the fun was talking them into going out for the rope swing ride. Quite a spectacle, that everyone enjoyed. I tended to like these freak girls because they were honest and fairly open, yet despite what was thought of them, were quick to draw lines.

The last time I was on a rope swing I broke off from the group and just enjoyed chatting with Marjie. Physically she was much to look at, she was dumpy, freckled and had weird hair and these splotches over her. But I was speechless in listening to her. She had life all figured out and one hell of a spirit. The shocker was she told me the same and said that she didn't know if she would be back but would try and wanted me waiting for her, just in case she could make it. I ran home and with Diarrhea of the mouth told my mom all about her. After about three weeks, mom informed me that she looked weird because she had leukemia and had passed away. If I had only known, God! I bet we would have snuck off and made love. To me she deserved that much, but I bet that rope swing was her last memory and she left us in comfort and love.

The rope swing represents to me the epitome of life.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.