FanStory.com - The Joy of Christmasby Mary Vigasin
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A gift from MA
The Joy of Christmas by Mary Vigasin
Holiday Blessings writing prompt entry
Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

As a holiday itself, Christmas is a celebration of Christ blessings. I immerse myself each year In Christmas music, movies and decorating the tree. Christmas music and movies are year-round entertainment for me. The blessing I receive from Christmas is a gift my mother gave to me.

As a child, my mother had no Christmas celebration from her father. She was, in fact, sent to live in orphanage and later worked as a maid.

So, when she had children, she vowed that she would celebrate Christmas. She not only kept this promise, she plunged headfirst into celebrating. My Dad told me her Christmas celebration would start in January when she would pick out toys on Lay-a-way and pay a little each week.
Just before Christmas and not having a car, Dad asked a friend to drive him to pick up the toys. In the spirit of the Season, the friend was delighted; that is, until trip number four, and the friend asked: "Just how many kids do you have?"

On Christmas Eve, Ma and Dad would fill the living room with toys. Ma could not wait until the morning to see our excitement. She would wake us up right away that Santa had come and gone. Dad said he would always remember the glow on Ma's face as we tore into our toys. We spent the next few hours showing Ma and Dad what Santa had brought us.

After all the excitement died down, Ma would sit us all down to read to us the story of the birth of Christ. Dad said she wanted to make sure that we did not forget the true meaning of Christmas.

Ten months later, Ma died.

Just before Christmas, our grieving Dad pulled us together and told us who the real Santa was that there would be no Christmas that year as it was too soon to celebrate. Ma, he said, was his Christmas. As it turned out, Christmas would be forgotten for the next few years.

I remembered that last Christmas with Ma. I wrapped myself in a blanket, opened the window and kept vigil to see Santa's sleigh. Nevertheless, I fell asleep and missed his arrival.

Years later, I played Santa to help my sister with her kids. I was thrilled in picking out their toys and see their excitement on Christmas. I also would sit down and read to them the story of the First Christmas.

I worked to get my Dad back into the spirit by bringing his grandchildren over to give their Papa homemade gifts. He thought it would be a good idea to get a tree again.

Even as a senior, I still get that Christmas excitement and like Ma start thinking about Christmas around January.

This was my blessing and gift that was given to me by my mother: The Joy of Christmas.




Writing Prompt
Write about your favorite holiday. Share why it is a blessing to you in 200 - 500 words.

Recognized

Author Notes
Christmas has a special meaning for me. Not only for the religious holiday but for what my mother gave me.

     

© Copyright 2024. Mary Vigasin All rights reserved.
Mary Vigasin has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement