FanStory.com - Football Chapter 1 part 2by barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Again, Katherine meets this gentleman.
Football - A Novel
: Football Chapter 1 part 2 by barbara.wilkey

Background
Katherine struggles to raise her four sons.

PREVIOUS POST:


"Jeremy, look at me." Her eyes met his. "Apologize to this gentleman."

"I'm sorry, Sir. I didn't mean for the cart to crash into you. Why are you carrying so much dog food?"

Her eyes widened. "Jeremy?" She paused. "I'm sorry."

"Not a problem, Ma'am." He glanced at the child. "Because I have a huge dog that eats a lot." He grinned. "Your mom met Reggie this morning. Maybe you'll meet him someday."

"We need to let this gentleman continue his shopping. Again sorry, Sir. Come on, Jeremy." Katherine took her son's hand as she pushed the cart.

"Mom, I want to see this dog."

"That dog's twice your size."

Katherine sighed when she heard a chuckle and the comment, "Yep, Reggie scared her."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 1 part 2 day 3

Monday, after her early morning run, Katherine rushed her three youngest sons to her mother's house. On the way to Jordan's, her oldest son, six o'clock football practice, she pulled into the local coffee shop's parking lot.

As his mom parked, Jordan grumbled, "Mom, come on! I'm going to be late for practice. Can't this wait?"

She glanced at the car's clock. "We have time. It'll only take a few minutes. I promise. You wait here." She hurried inside.

Two customers were ahead of her. She studied the menu posted on the wall. The line moved up, and Katherine stepped to the left to see the rest of the menu. As she did, a gentleman bumped into her, spilling his X-large steaming black coffee on her blouse.

"Ugh, Ouch! Hot!" Katherine held her blouse away from her body.

The man grabbed napkins and began wiping it. "I'm so sorry."

"Don't touch me. I'm fine." Their eyes met. "You again? Are you stalking me?"

"Ma'am, I was here first, so I'd say I'm not stalking you." He turned. "Nancy, could you put some ice in a baggy. She needs to cool the burn." He accepted the ice bag. "And two large coffees, one with cream and sugar on the side." He handed the ice to Katherine. "You'll need this."

Katherine accepted it. "You've done quite enough, Sir." She headed out the door.

Catching up, he handed her a coffee. "I didn't know if you like cream and sugar. There's some in the bag."

She grabbed the coffee and then opened the SUV door. "Thank you."

Jordan studied the situation. "Mom, what happened?"

"Scalding coffee was dumped on me. I need to go home to change."

She started to shut the door, but it was held open. "Ma'am, is there anything I can do?"

"Mom, I'll be late for practice. When we signed up, they stated it started at exactly six o'clock. I can't be late for my first practice. How will it look? Football coaches aren't known for their patience."

"Tell the coach your mom had an emergency."

"They won't accept excuses, especially this one. Drop me off and then change."

"Ma'am, I'll take your son to practice. I'm going that way."

Katherine glared at him. "I don't know you. You could be a serial killer. I'm certainly not going to allow you access to my child. No."

He moved his leg to keep the door open and reached for his billfold. "Here. Keep my driver's license, and I'll give you my pick-up registration. In twenty minutes call the school and verify your son's at practice." He took a packet from his glove-box and wrote down a phone number. "This should help ease your fears. My intentions are just to help. Honest."

"Mom, please. I'm going to be late."

After a long pause and a sigh, Katherine said, "Okay, but I'm going to call."

"I'm sure you will." He held out his hand for Jordan to shake as he walked around the SUV.

"I'm Jordan Riley. I see you've already met Mom."

"Sure have on three very interesting occasions." He chuckled. "Let's get to practice."

After they left, Katherine sat for a few seconds. I can't believe I just allowed Jordan to drive away with a complete stranger. She glanced at her watch. "At six-eleven, I'll call this number." She set the alarm on her phone.

As she pulled into her driveway, her alarm sounded. She grabbed the phone and punched in the number.

After two rings she heard a female voice, "Hello, Welcome to the Bears' Cave. Juliet Harper, the athletic trainer, speaking. How can I help?"

"Hello, this is Katherine Riley. We had a difficult morning, and I'm checking to make sure my son, Jordan Riley made it to football practice. Could you tell me if he arrived?"

"Yes, Ma'am. I was told to expect your call. Riley, your mom's on the phone."

The next voice Katherine heard was her son's, "Mom, I knew you'd call, but I wish you didn't. I'll be teased for being the new kid and now a mommy's boy. Great start to a new school. I got to go."



CHARACTERS:

Katherine Riley: age 33 - widowed: husband died 6 months ago. She moved to Texas from NYC with her four sons.

Daisy: Katherine's yellow Labrador

gentleman: more information later, owner of a very large English Mastiff

Reggie: a very large English Mastiff

Jeremy Katherine's six year old son. He's in first grade.

Jordan Katherine's fifteen year old son. He's a sophomore.

Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you google images for a photo of a football. This novel is not actually about football, but there is mention of High School football. High School football is a national past-time in Texas. Raising four sons myself, I can promise you my rear-end graced many bleachers on Friday nights. This post is a little over 700 words. I hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoyed writing it. I don't want to reveal too much until it's time.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement