FanStory.com - A Surprise for Dad by HarryT
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Dad's reaction when told his son's surprise.
A Surprise for Dad by HarryT
Surprise Me writing prompt entry

I was worried about my son Bill and Mary Ellen that new wife of his. He called on Sunday and said they have something important to tell me and Janice, my wife. It was a beautiful afternoon, I hoped they wouldn't ruin it.  I haven't liked that girl since she lost the bottom of her bikini and swam back to the beach without the bottom half of her swimsuit. She walked right out of the water, didn't even ask for a towel. Everyone saw to a large Monarch butterfly tattooed in full color on her bottom right cheek.

Another thing, the girl loved to express her opinions, be it life, religion or politics. Women should be like my Janice. She knows a woman’s place.

I couldn't stand Mary Ellen's godless, tree hugging, liberal attitudes. I was very upset when Bill announced they were going to marry at a Justice of the Peace, no church wedding. Mary Ellen told me she didn't believe in institutionalized religion. She said she can be spiritual without extravagant churches or fear-preaching ministers. The girl said she didn't need trappings to intervene between her and her God. I didn't understand Bill's love for this girl. He betrayed all the teaching of my life-long guide, Dr. Dobson. It was bad enough that she came to the family a lefty liberal, but she was also an "evolutionist." I'll be damned, if I’d ever agree that I was descended from an ape. There were no apes in the Garden of Eden.

"Oh, my gosh," I said to myself when they appeared. She was wearing an off-the-shoulder blouse and mini-skirt on a Sunday, yet.

Bill held Mary Ellen's hand as they approached. "Hi Dad," he said, "we have a surprise for you guys."

"Really?"

Bill said, "Dad, I know you think Mary Ellen is godless and pushy for a girl, but she is truly my soulmate. We have a wonderful life together."

I responded, "I'm glad to hear it, enjoy it now because I think you two are headed for hell."

"Okay, Dad, please call mom out here.”

Bill smiled at Mary Ellen. I shifted in my chair, beads of sweat pop out on my forehead.

"Okay," I said, and walked to the patio door. "Janice, come on out, Bill and you know who have something to tell us."
 
"I just made lemonade," Mom said, as she came through the door with a pitcher and four, frosty glasses on a silver tray.

"Okay, Bill," I anxiously said, "your mother and I are we waiting."

"Well," Bill said, as he winked at Mary Ellen. “We hope you guys won’t be upset."

"C'mon out with it," I said.

Bill walked over to Mary Ellen and placed his hands on her bare shoulders and said, "You tell them, dear."

Mary Ellen smiled and said, "Your son and I have thought about this and discussed it for some time."

"Okay, what is it?" I responded not knowing what to expect.

"Surprise!" Mary Ellen exclaimed, "we’ve purchased the two cemetery lots next to yours."

I took a deep breath and stood up. I knocked my glass of lemonade off the table. I walked over, smiled and took their hands, squeezed and said, "That’s the best surprise gift next to you two telling me that Mary Ellen is pregnant with our first grandchild."


 


Writing Prompt
This is a flash fiction contest. Write a story that has a surprise ending. Since it is flash, the word count must be between 200 and 600 words. The ending can be funny, sad, shocking, etc. But the reader has to be surprised.

     

© Copyright 2024. HarryT All rights reserved.
HarryT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement