FanStory.com - Reunion and a Broken Hearts.by thorney
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Hatshepsut and Senmut escape to Punt - and tragedy.
The Pharaoh Queen
: Reunion and a Broken Hearts. by thorney

Background
Hatshepsut - the Female-Pharaoh - and her lover Senmut, find themselves in the position of possibly being the cause of a Civil War. They fake the Pharaoh's death and flee to Punt.

After the vessel containing Hatshepsut's body docked in the Red Sea port, Senmut quickly went ashore. He looked for, and found, a small temple which was willing to perform an embalming ceremony. Senmut insisted spells from the Book of the Dead - especially the 'Weighing of the Heart' - were recited during the embalming process.

This service had only been offered to wealthy Egyptians in the last thirty years. Previously, only royalty had the privilege of having spells from the book read at their embalmment. Senmut declared the body to be processed, was that of a minor wife. However, a sceptical High Priest extorted an extraordinary high tribute to the temple for the ceremony.
***
Having set Hatshepsut's embalming process in motion - and supervised its early stages; Senmut's next task was to arrange for his passage to the Oasis of Dakhla. Neferure had to be informed of her mother's death as soon as possible--he had to convince her to help with the late Pharaoh's internment.

He realised at fifty-three years old, he was no longer a young man; the days which lay ahead would inevitably take their toll of him. Senmut thought the journey to the Oasis -- which he estimated to be over four-hundred miles -- could take him as long as fifteen-days travel. However, there were other things which required his attention first. Since he could not enter Thebes to contact his brother Amenemhet, transport, provisions and travelling companions needed to be arranged before embarking on such a long trip. All needed arranging in a clandestine-manner; after all, he had been considered dead for over two years.

It was nineteen-days after his landing at the Red Sea port, before he presented himself and his sad news to his daughter. Although the report was devastating, it didn't come as a complete surprise to Neferure. She wept silently at the news. Then, wiping away her tears remarked, "When I was part of my mother's escort to Leucus Limen last year, I thought how ill she looked, and worried then how short her time might be. I was also well aware of how much pain she was in, and hoped the magicians and priests of Punt might find some relief for her; obviously, it proved not to be."
Senmut nodded and said, "It was because of her pain and rapid deterioration, I decided to bring her home. Nothing the Punt priests tried, seem to make any difference to either her condition, or her pain. I felt so helpless; I considered any consequences we faced on our return, worth the chance to find relief for her constantly aching body."
Neferure began to weep again; her father could see his words were causing her high stress.
"I'm so sorry, my dear, but the telling helps clarify my mind on my decision to bring your mother back to Egypt. I felt the abscess which developed on her tooth was the final straw for me. It burst, and the poison it released almost killed her. I was adamant she should suffer no longer--it was obvious to me she was dying. The ultimate comfort I could offer my love was to bring her home to her family."

Now Senmut started to cry, and he and his daughter hugged each other in their misery, "I failed in my final service to her," he sobbed. "I failed to bring her home alive to you--I'm sorry, I failed you all."
Neferure was wailing now, hardly able to speak because of her distress, "NO!" she managed to howl. "Never, ever repeat such things! She loved you! WE all love you! We know you would have sold your soul for her! Never again blame yourself for any mishaps which have occurred. Even now, you risk your life to bring her home to us."
She took a deep breath, dried her eyes, and taking her father's arm led him to a couch. Looking in his still tearful eyes, Neferure took another deep breath and while attempting a smile announced. "Enough tears now, any further grieving can wait until later. Let us now discuss and plan on how best we can give Ma'at-ka-re a suitable final resting place."
***
Senmut stayed with his daughter and her family in Dakhla, for over a month. In that time, he rested and recuperated from the gruelling few months he'd endured of late. He also used the time to discuss plans with Neferure and Meketra, on how best to proceed with their ultimate aim. The one thing which was patently obvious to all, was no plan they devised could possibly succeed without the assistance of, Merytre - the Queen. This fact, caused dismay among the conspirators; all knew of Merytre's unconcern - bordering on apathy - at the disappearance and apparent death of her mother a year earlier.

"Your mother's embalmment will be complete in eighteen-days. Which leaves us little time to arrange where we can move her remains after we leave Leucus Limen. We must find an appropriate temple in Thebes. As yet, we still have no solid plans as to where and when we can get her into a suitable final resting place," Senmut moaned.

There was a grimace on Neferure's face as she stood and faced her companions. "I will go and see my sister!" she announced to howls of protests from both her father and husband. However, after a period of quiet, sensible reflection, none could find a better solution to their dilemma.

The following three days kept Neferure busy finding friends to look after her children during her absence. Meketra hirer three armed escorts and two guides -- who were to supply the food and water - for the expected seven to eight-day trip.

Eventually, the three conspirators and their hired party set out for Thebes. A day before they arrived, Senmut and two of the escorts by-passed the city and travelled a further hundred miles or so Leucus Limen. After the mummification ceremony of Hatshepsut was completed by the priests, they intended to escort her remains back to an obscure temple on the outskirts of Thebes--which Neferure was to arrange.

After parting from Senmut, Neferure and Meketra, took over half a day to complete their journey to his father's home. They would remain there until their responsibilities were fully discharged. Meketra's mother had died many years earlier. However, his father was still in good health, and well aware of the circumstances of his son's move to the Dakhla Oasis.
Neferure had two tasks to perform before her father returned - which she expected in seven days. Her first, was to complete her assignment of acquiring a place in a small temple for her mother's mummified body to await burial. The second - which she dreaded - was to confront her sister, Merytre--the Queen!

Author Notes
Witten in British English

     

© Copyright 2024. thorney All rights reserved.
thorney has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement