FanStory.com - St. Louis Chapter 26 part 3by barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Bill shares more news with McKenzie and Logan.
St Louis
: St. Louis Chapter 26 part 3 by barbara.wilkey

Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.

It's Monday evening. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 13 days.

There's still quite a bit left to this novel, but next weeks' post will begin to guide us to the ending.

Ending of Previous Post:

After McKenzie and Logan left the Whitmore house, he asked, "How does it feel to have possibly saved a marriage?"

"It feels good. I wouldn't want to be Mr. Whitmore when he's confronted. He's gone to great lengths to keep his problem from his wife. It would've been so much easier to have had open communication from the beginning."

"True." Logan paused and faced McKenzie. "At the risk of upsetting you, you could be a little more open with your feelings."

She swallowed. "I don't know what you're talking about. I'm open."

TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 26 PART 3

When Logan and McKenzie finished visiting Mr. O'Malley and Joanie had gone home, they continued cleaning up the ransacked apartment.

McKenzie replaced three drawers and their contents, and then put her hands on her hips. "I wish they'd hurry and arrest whoever did this. After I beat his butt for what he did to Edger, I'd make him clean up this mess."

Logan grinned. "I'm sure you would."

Once everything was back in its place, they sat on the couch, and Logan pointed at the TV. "The Cards aren't on tonight. It's the All-Star break. I think the Homerun Derby's on."

"You're right." She studied the entrance to the den. "I guess I'll redo my planning board. Any ideas how to get the painted message off my desk?"

"Not really, maybe sanding and refinishing the top. I'm not sure how deep the paint went into the wood. Tomorrow we'll stop by a hardware store. Let's get started on redoing the notes." Logan's head turned when he heard a knock on the door. "I wonder who's here." Once he opened it, he said, "Bill, what brings you by?"

Bill held up a file. "I have good and bad news."

McKenzie hugged him. "Please the good news first. I don't think I can handle any more bad news."

Petting Edger, Bill continued, "I'm glad to see you're doing well. It seems before this guy was tranquilized, he got a bite of one of the vandals."

As McKenzie petted the large dog, her eyes widened. "Really? Good boy. So we can identify one of them. Who is it? Is he arrested? I want to spend time alone with him."

Holding up a hand, Bill said, "Whoa. You know the system doesn't work that fast. We have blood drops mixed with dog saliva. So far that's all we know. It'll take time." He paused. "That's the good news." He pointed to the table. "Have a seat. Now for the bad news."

Logan and McKenzie sat, as did Bill. McKenzie hung her head, holding it in her hands. "I don't think I can take any more bad news today. To be honest, I'm almost at my limit."

Taking her hand, Logan cupped it in his and leaned his head so it touched hers. "I'm here. Lean on me."

Bill eyed McKenzie and then glanced at Logan. After Logan nodded, he continued, "I'll start with the really bad news. These men got inside your home because there was a new officer working. I feel he was planted by Parks but can't prove it. Anyway, he's been reassigned."

Logan ran his hand through his military-cut hair. "How are we going to ensure this doesn't happen again?"

"That's the problem. I can't guarantee it. We can only try and stay as alert as possible. That's one of the reasons I want Logan here all the time."

As Logan patted her hand, their eyes met, but he asked Bill, "Okay, what's next?"

"It seems John Benson..."

"I've heard the name, but refresh my memory," interrupted Logan.

"He's the man who murdered my parents. He laundered drug money for the 49 BAD Bloods street gang." McKenzie chewed on her lower lip. "He's dead. So far we haven't seen any evidence of gang involvement. What's he got to do with this mess?"

"Before he died, he contacted his lawyer because he wanted to set up a meeting with you. He was ready to discuss a deal. He wanted to reveal the identity of whoever hired him to murder your dad."

"What? I thought he acted alone. He never contacted me."

"You're right. He was murdered in prison before that meeting happened. He had contacted his lawyer, but once he died, there was no reason to continue with the meeting."

"Okay, we're exactly where we were, right?" asked McKenzie. "Nowhere."

"Not really. He was worried about his safety so he mailed documents to his lawyer."

Logan's eyes met Bill's. "Great. Set up an appointment."

"Can't. The lawyer was murdered a week-and-a-half ago."

"I'm guessing there's more or you wouldn't be here to tell me you have nothing. Right, Uncle Bill?"

Bill grinned. "You haven't called me Uncle Bill for quite a while. I like it." He licked his lips. "His office was ransacked, but I guess they didn't find the papers because they showed up on my desk this afternoon."

"Quit spoon feeding me and get to the point."

"My dear, remember the poker game Mitch wanted you to play in?"

"Sure what does that have to do with anything?"

"I'm really glad Logan and I were so against it. Ivan Smart was the man Benson was laundering money for. It seems your dad had a hunch and was digging further than just money laundering and was getting close to Smart. That's the real reason your parents were murdered."

"Did Mitch know any of this?" asked Logan. "Could he have been setting Mac up?"

"No way. I've worked with Mitch for years. He's good people. I'm sure he knows nothing. But if it gets out that he's started an investigation on Smart, his life could be in danger. After I leave here, I'm having dinner with him and filling him in."

McKenzie started pacing. "Let me get this straight. Benson was ready to rat out Smart, so he was murdered, and then so was his lawyer. This file ended up on your desk. Smart thinks somehow part of this information got back to me. Maybe I got a hold of Dad's old files and put two-and-two together, and he wants me out of the way. So now he's after me. Do I understand this?"

"Sure sounds like it. But it does seem strange that this file just showed up," said Logan.

"Maybe not. When the lawyer's family cleaned out his home desk they found a safe-deposit key. Inside that box they found the file. They thought it looked important so turned it over to the District Attorney's office; me."

"But I had my heart set on Sidney Parks being behind this. Doesn't this clear him, and what about Megan's murder? I guess they're nowhere close to being related." McKenzie slumped down in the chair. "Grrr. I thought I had this figured out."

Bill tapped the table. "Don't be so sure you're wrong. Somebody working for the department has to be protecting Smart. Smart wouldn't have access to set up the various things that's happened. It could still be Parks."

"I guess you're right." She fingered the placemat. "I was sure Megan's death had something to do with this. I'm back to square one."

"Again, maybe not. That evidence still points to Parks." He took a file out of his briefcase. "A copy of Megan's text messages. She mentions a Sidney by name. No proof it's Parks, yet, and he used a burner phone. We're still checking the burner phone you found. It could be one of his. I'm working on identifying where this phone was bought and then maybe we can get a clue by who."

McKenzie accepted the papers. "Since the Cardinals aren't on, I now have something to do besides redo my planning board."

Bill glanced at his watch, then stood, and grinned. "I'm late for my dinner with Mitch. Happy reading. Logan, I don't want to get your hopes up, but I heard your sister's autopsy report and body will be released sometime tomorrow."

Logan sighed. "Finally. Have you seen the report?"

"Not yet. I'll bring it by as soon as I do."

"Thank you. I'll walk you to the door."

McKenzie curled up on the couch and began reading Megan's text messages.

When Logan returned, she offered him the first page. "Ready to read?"

"I'll fix dinner. I think I'd rather read them by myself, if it's all right."

"It is. I understand."




Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila's his wife.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi What Cardinal fans call Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
George Whitney A former boyfriend of Megan, early suspect in her murger.
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez his wife is Lucy Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny Carlton A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents
Sidney Parks works for the St. Louis Police Detective with the drug unit.
Mack and Helen Morgan McKenzie's parents - both deceased
Gus Piper McKenzie's abusive grandfather - deceased
Austin Bryant an old boyfriend - McKenzie broke up with him because he's a jerk.
Joshua Davis so far a nobody, but is a neighbor to Donny Carlton
Mark Young an acquaintance of McKenzie, a state trooper, and will become important much late


Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you google imagines for a photo of a female texting. It's not exactly what I wanted, but it's the best I could find. I really appreciate your help. This post is a little under 1,300 words. Logan and McKenzie continue their search for Megan's murder as they get closer to becoming a couple.
Since I'm now attempting to teach first grade from home, I edit each post daily, but I still don't get it right. I appreciate all of your help. Thank you for your generous support.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement