FanStory.com - haiku (blood red poppies)by LisaMay
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anzac Day: Commemorating soldiers in World War 1
haiku (blood red poppies) by LisaMay
Haiku contest entry

 

blood red poppies

signify sacrifice

over the top



 

 


Recognized

Author Notes
Author's Note:

(The phrase 'over the top' can mean to an excessive or exaggerated degree, as well as meaning to go over the parapet of a trench and into battle. It seems that colonial troops were sometimes used as 'cannon fodder', where casualty numbers were significantly brutal. Aussies and Kiwis gained reputations for bravery under fire.)

In Australia and New Zealand we commemorate Anzac Day on 25th April every year. ANZAC is an abbreviation of Australia and New Zealand Army Corps. Nowadays, the day broadly commemorates all Australians and New Zealanders who served and died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations, and the contribution and suffering of all those who have served.

Anzac Day was originally devised to honour the members of the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who served in the Gallipoli Campaign, in Turkey, their first engagement in the First World War (1914-1918).

The poppy has become a symbol of sacrifice. Red poppies were notable on the Western Front in France and Belgium, The Somme, scenes of great carnage in WW1.

I took the accompanying photo at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, where people can place commemorative poppies beside soldiers' names.

     

© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement