FanStory.com - St. Louis Chapter 25 part 2by barbara.wilkey
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Now what's happened?
St Louis
: St. Louis Chapter 25 part 2 by barbara.wilkey

Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.

It's Sunday afternoon. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 12 days.

Ending of Previous Post:

"If I'm not allowed to do my job, I won't be of any use, will I? I won't accept pity income."

Logan stepped in front of Bill and whispered to him, "I got this." He took the box from her and set it on the floor. "I have an idea for today. We'll eat breakfast and then go to the hospital." He glanced at Bill before he continued, "While I finish breakfast, you can set up an appointment with Mrs. Whitmore and give her the information you've discovered. After that, we can go to the gym." He took her hand. "Since Vince won't be available, can you still use the JKD mats?" When she nodded, he said, "Good. I happen to be an instructor. We can work-out and then spar. That will keep you in top condition. Deal?"

"I think that'll work. I doubt I should meet with Mrs. Whitmore on a Sunday. I can set up that for tomorrow." McKenzie faced Bill. "Can we at least do that? We've done it before."

"I'll agree to that." Bill walked over to McKenzie. "I need to stop by the office." He held up the message Logan had received. "I want this in the safe and then tomorrow I'll hand it over to the lab. Joanie's waiting for me." He glanced at his watch. "I need to hurry. She hates to be late for church." He kissed McKenzie's cheek. "See you probably later today. Tomorrow morning for sure. What time you going to the hospital?"

"I was thinking about one o'clock. It would probably be the best."

"I'll make sure there are plenty of back-ups. See you two later." Bill left.

Logan went into the kitchen. "I'll get breakfast started. Any preference?"

"Anything will be fine." McKenzie chewed on her bottom lip. "Thank you for last night."

"I'm sure until this mess ends, we'll need a few more special nights. What do you think?"

"I agree." She turned. "I'll be in the den if you need me." Soon she yelled to Logan, "Tomorrow, I need to check with Mitch about Megan's texts."

"I would think he'd have them any day."

TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 25 PART 2

About one-fifteen P.M. Logan and McKenzie cleared police security and knocked on Patrick O'Malley's hospital door. He leaned forward and offered his hand. "Major Nelson, come in. I see you have a lassie with you."

Logan put his hand on the small of McKenzie's back. "I do. Mr. O'Malley, I'd like you to meet McKenzie Morgan." After they shook hands, Logan continued, "We heard what happened and wanted to let you know how sorry we are that you got caught up in this mess."

McKenzie stepped closer. "I am so sorry this happened. What did they want?"

"They wanted to see the surveillance tape I gave your friend. I refused." He motioned to his bandages. "You can see where it went from there. I never did give them the tape."

Logan said, "Thank you, we appreciate that. We handed the tape over to the police. Their lab is trying to identify the man outside watching through the window. Do you have any idea who did this?"

Patrick shook his head. "Nope. They wore masks. Just three chicken goons. Only one of them spoke. My guts tells me the other two were the two who drugged you, but I can't prove it."

"If we can get these guys in a line-up, could you identify the voice?" Logan paused. "The tape gives clear pictures of the two men who drugged Mac. We asked for facial recognition, but don't have an answer, yet."

He nodded. "I think I'd recognize his voice." He reached out to take McKenzie's hand. "I'm sorry you got drugged in my establishment. It was busy that night, and I wasn't paying attention to what happened. I'm glad your friend arrived when he did. I hate thinking about what could have happened to you. It's my responsibility to keep customers safe in my business. I'm sorry."

"It was my fault. I should've paid more attention to my drink. I knew better, but got careless. I don't blame you. It's my fault." She took Logan's hand and her eyes met his. "I'm glad he came to my rescue too."

Logan put his arm around her shoulders and gave a gentle squeeze but addressed Patrick, "Is there anything you need?"

"Yes. Catch these guys and make sure they pay."

McKenzie smiled. "We intend to do just that, right Logan?"

He nodded. "That we do."

As the doctor entered, all turned toward him. Logan nodded. "I guess we need to leave. We'll come by tomorrow and see how you're doing."

"Good. I hope you'll have news about these goons."

"So do I." McKenzie accepted Logan's offered hand. "Good bye. We'll be by tomorrow."

*****
At the gym and after having changed into workout clothes, Logan asked, "Treadmill or mats first?"

"Treadmill. I want to run off some frustration."

Logan grinned. "I want you to. I don't want you taking your frustration out on me."

On the treadmill, McKenzie started with a slow walk. After a few minutes, she pressed the button to speed it up and then stopped. "You kissed me last night."

"I did, twice."

She restarted with a slow jog. "Why?"

"Because I wanted to."

McKenzie was at a full run. "I guess that's as good a reason as any."

Logan chuckled. "I guess so."

After about forty-five minutes of running, McKenzie slowed the treadmill. "Do you plan on kissing me again?"

"Probably, if the occasion arises."

"Okay." She stopped her treadmill and stretched. "Ready for the mat?"

"Give me a minute." He grabbed two bottles of water and handed one to her. "You need to hydrate first."

On the mat they faced each other and bowed. Logan nodded for McKenzie to begin. She did, and he followed her with blocks and threw some jabs and kicks.

After a few minutes, he held up his hand to stop. "Let me show you something." He did a move with a kick and jab. "Try that. I think it would be more effective."

As she attempted the kick, he watched.

He moved beside her. "Do you mind?" When she indicated it would be all right to touch her body, he continued, "Okay jab, and then kick." He followed her jab, and as she kicked he slightly adjusted the angle of her kick. "Feel the difference?"

"I do. It feels more powerful." She tried again. "Like this?"

"You got it." He moved in front of her. "Let's restart."

After another thirty minutes they finished, drank more water, and went in the respective locker rooms to shower and change.

Logan was the first to finish and was drinking water while he waited. He noticed Mark Young watching him, and their eyes met.

Mark walked over. "Are you waiting for Mac?"

Nodding Logan said, "We just finished a workout."

He glanced out the window. "I see her security issues haven't improved any. How's she taking it?"

Logan grinned. "How do you think she's taking it?"

"Probably not good."

"You're right. At times, she does okay, then there are other times-" Logan quieted as McKenzie walked out of the locker room.

Mark leaned over and pecked her cheek. "Have a nice workout?"

"I did. How are you doing?"

"Good. I saw your friend hanging around and came over to talk with him."

She hooked her arm through Logan's. "I can't seem to get rid of him. He just keeps hanging around."

Pointing out the window, Mark said, "It's probably a good thing right now."

"I guess you're right."

Mark checked his watch. "I'd better get started. I need to be on duty in two hours. It's good to see you again." He headed toward the free weights.

Logan's eyes met McKenzie's as he asked, "Ready?"

She hesitated as she felt a tingle up her spine when he placed his hand on the small of her back. She took a drink of water. "I am now."

*****
As Logan and McKenzie walked up the sidewalk to her front steps, she said, "Something's wrong. I can feel it."

"I do too." He pushed her behind him, as he drew his weapon. He slowly opened the door.






Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila's his wife.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi What Cardinal fans call Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
George Whitney A former boyfriend of Megan, early suspect in her murger.
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez his wife is Lucy Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny Carlton A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents
Sidney Parks works for the St. Louis Police Detective with the drug unit.
Mack and Helen Morgan McKenzie's parents - both deceased
Gus Piper McKenzie's abusive grandfather - deceased
Austin Bryant an old boyfriend - McKenzie broke up with him because he's a jerk.
Joshua Davis so far a nobody, but is a neighbor to Donny Carlton
Mark Young an acquaintance of McKenzie, a state trooper, and will become important much late

Recognized

Author Notes
Thank you google imagines for an image of a JKD stance. I really appreciate your help. This post is a little over 1,000 words. I hope you don't mind the length. Logan and McKenzie continue their search for Megan's murder as they get closer to becoming a couple.
Thank you for your generous support.

     

© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement