FanStory.com - Different by Brenda Henderson
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A coming of age story
Different by Brenda Henderson
Flash Fiction contest entry

Different

It started off like any other Spring day. The flowers were blooming. The birds were singing. Perhaps the unrest and cabin fever surrounding her contributed to her wanting to make a move. Everyone else was locked indoors; "social distancing" to avoid the dreaded virus and worldwide pandemic. But, she wanted to escape. She wanted to fly free. She'd been held back, held down and locked away far too long. She needed to be free. She'd often joked that her bags were half packed. After the change in seasons she had re-packed a carry-on, a weekender and a tote. She walked past them everyday for weeks. Would this be the day her "Prince" would finally come or the day she would strike out on her own? Keys in hand, she made her way to the front door. She didn't know what lay ahead but, whatever it was; it'd be DIFFERENT!


Recognized

Author Notes
There comes a time in every one's life when the only way through is out.

My thanks to Lucas Sizov for the use of "The Open Door."

     

© Copyright 2024. Brenda Henderson All rights reserved.
Brenda Henderson has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement