FanStory.com - Charlie Cannot Listenby Therese Caron
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Talking to Charlie about his life
Charlie Cannot Listen by Therese Caron
Charlie writing prompt entry

The last time I saw Charlie he was crossing the street, I think to avoid me. I called out to him anyway, and he stopped and waited for me. I was shocked at his unkempt appearance. He was obviously very high. I knew about his struggles with alcohol, but this was something entirely different, and frightening at best. I asked him how he was and he looked at me blankly. I did not waste time, but told him right away that he needed serious help and I would help him get it. I wanted him to go immediately to a detox center but he looked at me with bloodshot eyes and just said that maybe he would go tomorrow. I told him tomorrow may be too late and we argued back and forth for about ten minutes. He finally walked away, saying he would call me. I knew he wouldn't. That was the last time I saw Charlie.

Actually, that was not the last time I saw Charlie. I saw him at the funeral home two weeks later, lying in a casket.


Writing Prompt
Write a story that begins with the line: The last time I saw Charlie ... (continue the sentence and story)

Recognized

Author Notes
I know many people who refused help for their addiction. I also know many who got help and still did not make it.

     

© Copyright 2024. Therese Caron All rights reserved.
Therese Caron has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement