FanStory.com - Dear Abbyby Y. M. Roger
Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Guess me, guess me, if you can...
Dear Abby by Y. M. Roger

Dear Abby,
I am a stranger in a strange land. But I find myself at a crossroads, for this strange land now shows me opportunities I have only dreamed of before now.
 
You see, since I was a little boy in my homeland, I dreamed of building ships that could fly men to the moon and beyond.  Just as I had begun some groundwork on that dream with a team of wonderful people, our government conscripted us and our research and turned our dream into the making of weapons of war. The man who sat/still sits at the head of our government has a warped vision of where our country’s place in the world should be, and he has begun using the first models of our ‘vehicles’ as deliverers of death on the innocent people of  the lone nation that dares stand in opposition to him.
 
But the winds of war, as always, are fickle and driven solely by the force that wields the greatest strength, and it seems our government has over-played its hand.  Waging a horrific war on two fronts over-extended its resources, and its focus was removed from us long enough for my team and all of their families to be spirited away into this strange new land.
 
We have renounced our homeland. We have been given a new life here: homes and income – anything we could want or need. Yes, although strange to us, this land is amazing. We have been promised any resources it would take to fulfill our dreams of putting men on the moon only if we first agree to standardize missile capabilities for their military forces here.
 
I have wanted this for so long – for my entire life, actually. The men under me are fully dedicated to our dream, but I am a bit hesitant to engage in the development of weapons once again. I have already seen my dream bastardized before with no fulfillment in sight, but, although it may be an egocentric drive, it seems I would do just about anything to make it come true. 
 
Would you believe this new government in their promise?

Hesitant in Huntsville
 
##########################################################################
 
Hesitant in Huntsville,
You have had a wonderful life up to now: it is not many that can boast of the opportunity to fully pursue their dreams as you have. Yes, you have had to make some detours over the past few years, but you still have a clear vision of where you want to go.
 
This new government seems to have been very good to you, your men, and all of your families. If you were to walk away now, it would not just be from everything you all have accomplished, but you would also be throwing away the aspirations of every one of your men as well. Without the resources of this new government to aid you, it is a guarantee that none of you will realize your lunar dreams.
 
The forward progress of humankind in the pursuit of dreams cannot be trivialized. But no large-scale human dream is ever realized without some fallout, some cost. Rome was built on a dream. America was built on a dream. Neither were accomplished without cost. I think you should take the chance that this government is sincere in their promise. Move forward on your dream, H-in-H, for it promises huge strides forward for the whole of the peoples of Earth.
 
May the moon be only the beginning,

Abby

 

Recognized

Author Notes
Image from www.astronautix.com

     

© Copyright 2024. Y. M. Roger All rights reserved.
Y. M. Roger has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement