FanStory.com - Attachments by Brenda Henderson
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Learning how to let go.
Attachments by Brenda Henderson
True Story Contest contest entry

It was one of the hardest lessons that I ever learned in life. It's that people can love you and still leave. They can love you and still walk away. They can choose someone or something else.

It's a lesson that I have been taught over and over again. Don't get too attached. Don't want anyone or anything too much or it or they will be taken away. From my first puppy; my first friend; my first boyfriend; my fiancee (He left while we were house shopping).

Then there are those that move away due to time, employment, distance or circumstance. Sometimes they have no choice. They die. They can't stay; friends, cousins, uncles grandparents. Like my great-grandmother who transitioned with tears in her eyes while holding my hand. My father; by the time they let us in the room he was already gone.

There are even people who drift away with Alzheimer's and Dementia; like my grandmother, my aunt and now my mom. One day they don't know who you are or they forget your name.

I guess life is a series of hellos and goodbyes. In order to survive we must learn to let go. The question is does it ever not hurt or do we have to not care? I think the answer is we have to accept the loss and process the pain. Finally, we must FORGIVE; them for leaving; ourselves for being angry and God for allowing it to happen. Then we must THANK God for staying when everyone else left and it felt like He had too. You see; GRATITUDE is the doorway to PEACE which is the only road to JOY!

Recognized

Author Notes
Sometimes we don't know that we haven't let go. We just know we still hurt.

Thank you for the use of "Release Me" by .Memories.Captive.

     

© Copyright 2024. Brenda Henderson All rights reserved.
Brenda Henderson has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement