FanStory.com - Christmastimeby papa55mike
Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
2,570 words. Lew, and his friends fill a desperate need.
A Shadow On The Street
: Christmastime by papa55mike

Background
Lewis Bradley is a man forced into hiding by his unique gift. He has the ability to see inside the minds of the people he passes.

The digital clock on my computer flips over to midnight. It is now December Twenty-Third, or as my grandpa would say, "Christmas Eve, Eve." What a cantankerous old soul he was, but he loved people in a big way. Grandpa never met a stranger. For me, I avoid people like the plague.

The facts Kathy introduced me to the other day were staggering. A hundred people or more are living on the streets in downtown Memphis. I wonder how many are women and children? How do they protect themselves in the cold, snow, and rain? What keeps them from becoming hopeless? No wonder the pain is so extreme in Caleb and Terrel. Both of them feel like failures. I'd call them survivors.

There must be something I can do for these people. Any small step could change their lives, like showing them someone cares.

I slide out of my office chair and get on my knees. "Father, Your majesty, fills my life. Please show me a way to help these deserving souls, and let me show Your undying love for them in some way. In Jesus' name. Amen."

~

The coffee pot always starts perking at three-thirty every morning. I'm channel surfing my way to TBN; the nighttime commercials are always entertaining, but I see why they're not on after five.

I stop at a Food Giant commercial advertising a complete turkey dinner for ten people, under forty dollars, and a ham dinner is only thirty dollars. The dinner includes large pans of sweet potato casserole, green beans, dressing, rolls, and two pies for dessert. So, I can feed a hundred people for around four-hundred dollars.

I fall back to my knees. "Thank you, Father. Your guidance is astonishing. In Jesus' name. Amen!"

~

I pour my third cup of coffee at five-thirty when Kathy comes out of their bedroom. "Do you ever sleep, Lew? I heard you up at midnight."

"Since I received my so-called gift, I don't sleep much. Maybe three hours a night."

"Wow," Kathy sips her freshly poured coffee. "When did you acquire your gift?" She sits down across the table from me.

"I don't remember a specific moment that something happened. One Sunday, I was praying with a man who came to the Altar to receive the Lord, and suddenly I saw he was lying. He did it to get his wife off his back but I prayed with him, though."

"What happened next?"

"Well, I was greeting the congregation after service and began to see what people thought about me. Including my ex-wife, Sandra."

"Was there any good in their thoughts, Lew?"

"A few."

"I see why your gift is such a burden."

"The Lord gave it to me for a reason, Kathy. Maybe it was to save you and Caleb?"

Kathy's eyes begin to tear up. "Well, you certainly did that."

"Let's talk about you for a minute," I drink my last sip for the day. "Tell me about your felony conviction."

"According to the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and the FBI, I hacked the Region's bank computer to steal money. But I didn't. I wanted to check the balances of my friends to find out who I could borrow money from. They said I caused twelve thousand dollars worth of damage. I got off with a five-thousand-dollar fine and two years probation. It could have been much worse."

"We can get that charge reduced. I'll start looking for a way after the first of the year. How long ago was it?"

"Three years ago. We paid every dollar, Lew. Caleb worked, and I was a babysitter at home while pregnant with Amy."

"That was right before you became homeless?"

"Yeah, Caleb lost his job, and the downward spiral started." Kathy has a puzzled look on her face. "Why didn't you remarry, Lew?"

"How could I do that to another woman? The pressure would be enormous. Do you have any secrets hidden from Caleb?"

"A couple," Kathy shakes her head. "I see your point."

"Kathy," I get up and pour myself an extra half a cup. "Is what you said about the Homeless Network true? A hundred homeless people live all around downtown?"

"The number 103 sticks in my mind, but I'd have to check my phone."

"Does that include the children?"

"No, I'd add at least thirty children. Why are you asking?"

"Because the Lord has put it on my heart to help them somehow. I was thinking about having a Christmas dinner for them here, and we have plenty of room."

"You're going to cook that much food?"

"No," I chuckle. "Food Giant has a great deal on a meal that serves ten people. I was planning on ordering twelve of those meals if you, Caleb, and Terrel will help me. I'm so glad Terrel and Earl stayed with us."

"Me, too," Kathy wipes her eyes again. "You have the biggest heart, Lew. Of course, we'll help you."

"Great, let's talk about it when everybody gets up."

~

It's becoming a familiar scene at the kitchen table with all of us gathered around. Caleb, Kathy, Terrel, and I are drinking coffee or water, discussing the day's events, or sharing the dreams we all have. It's the closest I've been to a family in many years. The only difference is they're at one end of the table; I'm at the other.

Terrel scoots his chair a little closer. "I can't believe you want to feed all those people, Lew."

"Let me ask you a question, Terrel. If somebody had done this for you and Earl last Christmas, would it have given you hope for the coming year?"

"Yes," Terrel wipes his face with his hands. "I remember last Christmas so well. Earl and I were wandering the streets, and I knew we would have to struggle to find a meal, and there was no present from Santa for Earl. You're right, Lew; I was utterly hopeless."

"That's why I want to do this, Terrel. If this meal gives a few people the hope to continue their struggle, it's worth doing."

"Well," Kathy sets her bottled water down. "We're going to need more than just the food; there's plates, spoons, forks, glasses, and drinks to buy. What about tables and chairs?"

"I'm going to Tony's tomorrow morning, and I'll pick up all of that there. Besides, I think Tony will want to donate something. There are enough tables to serve everybody, but we'll have to sit on the floor to eat. A Christmas picnic."

"Believe me," Caleb nods. "That won't bother anybody."

"Great. So, Caleb and Terrel will pick up the food at noon on Christmas Eve. Kathy and I will set up the tables outside the office. The dinner will be at five. To avoid most people, I'll work the kitchen warming the food up, and you guys will get to serve everybody. I want to pray with all of them before we start."

"You better!" Kathy laughs.

"I have a surprise for the kids. Caleb, in the back of that closet in your bedroom, is a long box with a big tote beside it. Can you bring them here?"

"Sure." Caleb sets off on his journey.

Kathy leans over to me. "What are you up to, Lew?"

"You'll see."

Caleb walks out with a face full of joy. "It's a Christmas tree!"

Earl jumps up from the television. "Did you say we have a Christmas tree?"

"Yes, Earl. I think we have two deserving families yearning to decorate this forgotten tree. I'll boil some water for hot chocolate."

The spirit of Christmas begins to fill the room.

~

The walk to Tony's is a little brisk this Christmas Eve morning. The wind is channeling down the streets, and I have my overcoat pulled close, and there's nobody out at six o'clock. The cold wind follows me through the front door and blows newspapers around. "Merry Christmas, Tony."

"Well, Merry Christmas, Lew. Somebody is full of the spirit this morning."

"For some unknown reason, I bought Christmas presents for a few people. One of them is yours, and I didn't wrap it because I don't know how." I give Tony a watch box. "I heard you say you broke your watch."

Tony slides off the top of the box. "What a beautiful pocket watch. Thank you, Lew. I didn't get you a thing, and I feel ashamed."

"Well, I can use your help. I have a few people coming for Christmas dinner this evening, and I need plates, forks, spoons, cups, and drinks for a hundred and forty people."

"A hundred and forty people! Boy, have you changed, Lew? What brought this on?"

"Christmas, I guess."

"Let me guess; you're doing this for the homeless?"

"How did you know, Tony?"

"I read your mind. You have already taken in two families from off the street. How are they doing?"

"Well, Caleb has been working for a week, and Terrel starts on his crew the day after Christmas. What a blessing that is!"

"How do you plan to carry all of this home? I'm thinking fifteen two liters, five gallons of tea, and a couple of gallons of milk."

"I have a hundred dollar bill for the delivery guy, but I'll carry all the utensils and cups. You better add some napkins. I hope you have some coffee and breakfast ready. I'm hungry!"

"I always close at noon on Christmas Eve, and delivering the stuff will be a pleasure. Let me make you a biscuit, and I'll start gathering all of this up."

"Why, thank you, Tony. I'll pour us both some coffee."

~

Quietly, I close the door to the old shoe factory, then try to imagine this massive room full of needy souls in fellowship. Let's take this evening to build heavenly hope in each person. Maybe I see too much in this, but I serve a mighty God. I hope we sing some Christmas Carols.

I stopped at the office door to enjoy the tree everybody decorated yesterday. The silver and blue glass spheres glisten in the flashing lights. Kathy mentioned that Amy never smiled that much, but she cherished every ornament they put on the tree.

"I hope Amy's joy spreads to all of us."

Slowly, I make my way through the office door with all of the packages from Tony's. Sitting all the bags on the table, I feel the warmth of family in this room. I don't remember feeling this happiness in my life.

~

It was two o'clock in the afternoon, and Caleb and Terrel left at eleven-thirty to pick up the food. "I wonder what's taking so long, Kathy?"

"Caleb texted me; they just left. It took them forever to load it all up!"

Ten minutes later, we hear the overhead door open, and Caleb pulls next to the office and gets out. "Lew, do you realize how much food you bought? They rolled all of it out on big moving dollies, and I have a trunk full of turkeys and hams. In the back are thirty-six oven pans full of dressing, sweet potatoes, and green beans. That doesn't count the twenty-four pies and twelve boxes of rolls. I hope everybody shows up, or we'll be eating Christmas dinner for a month."

Kathy laughs. "We're talking free food. They'll be here."

"How many have you heard from?" Terrel asks.

"Eighty-five, so far."

"Well," I pick up two pans marked sweet potatoes. "Let's get it all in the kitchen."

Both families pitch in. Earl and Amy start carrying the rolls and pies.

~

The first of our guests for the evening begin to arrive at four o'clock. They're thankful to be out of the cold rain that started to fall. It's incredible how many of them Caleb and Kathy know personally, and not one person hasn't hugged them both.

It's been a steady stream of people through the door. Families have spread blankets out everywhere, and it reminds me of a concert in the park.

Caleb has everyone singing Jingle Bells in four-part harmony. What a beautiful voice he has.

Kathy and I bring out the first hams and turkeys to thunderous applause, and Kathy puts her hand to her ear while begging for more praise. We continue to fill the tables with food.

We're finally ready to start. Kathy holds up her hand; it becomes instantly quiet. I see the leader inside of her. "Our friend, Lew, wants to lead us in grace."

All eyes turn to me. I've never seen a room full of joy like this before. There's a beautiful smile on every face. "Let us all pray. Father in heaven, thank you for Your Son, born this night. He came into this world to love us back to redemption and bring us all into a joyous, overflowing life in His grace. May we all have homes next Christmas? In Jesus' name. Amen."

Caleb holds up his hand this time. "We want the kids first, then the wives. All of the men will have to wait, including me."

The children quickly line up at the tables.

We're on the last turkeys and ham, but there's still plenty of vegetables. I start bringing out the pies already sliced. The first in line for pie is a young pregnant woman who might be eighteen. She looks ready to deliver at any moment. When she passes me, I see inside her mind. Her water broke this morning, and the contractions are increasing. Eight minutes apart and growing closer. Now, I see her squatting beside a dumpster with her boyfriend, delivering a stillborn child. The young woman wraps the child in her sweater and places the baby in the trash. I drop the pan I'm holding with the link breaks.

Kathy runs over to me. "Are you all right, Lew?"

"Yeah, I need to talk to you in the kitchen." She follows me. "The pregnant girl that walked by me. Do you know her?"

"Yeah, her name is Cindy."

"Well, she's in labor right now. Cindy will deliver her baby on the street tonight, but it won't survive unless we get her to a hospital."

"What do you want me to do?"

"Go talk to her, and I'll call an ambulance."

It took ten minutes to talk Cindy and Jimmy into going to the hospital. Kathy had to tell them what I saw before they decided to go. All of this worry about the hospital bill could have killed their baby.

~

The rain stops before the guests start to leave. I'm standing at the office door, watching Caleb, Kathy, and Terrel hug our last guests before they head to where they are staying. I wish we could do more, and they deserve it.

Kathy walks up to me, grabs my hands, and smiles.

I see the love inside of her, thanking me for the joy we shared tonight.

"You're welcome, sweetie."

Caleb, Terrel, and Kathy wrap their arms around me.

~

My digital clock on my computer flips to midnight again. It's Christmas Day, and I take the two presents I've kept hidden and slowly put them under the tree. It's not much - a doll for Amy and a truck for Earl.

"Santa didn't forget you this Christmas."

Author Notes
I don't know why I have a Christmas story in most of my books? But I do.

Many thanks for stopping by to read!
Have a great day, and God bless.
mike

     

© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.




Be sure to go online at FanStory.com to comment on this.
© 2000-2024. FanStory.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement